Lodged valve buckets

5 replies to this topic
  • ShsFunny

Posted August 23, 2013 - 02:41 PM

I have a couple of valve buckets that are stuck. Im using a small magnet to remove the others but these two intake valve buckets wont budge. 75% chance its from slightly bent valve stems. Im trying to get to the point of removing the head so I have to get them out. I know you old dogs have some tricks? Anyone?

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:33 PM

heat shrink on a pair of needle nosed pliers as to no scratch them. Or pick up some stronger magnets.

• ShsFunny

Posted August 23, 2013 - 07:56 PM

heat shrink on a pair of needle nosed pliers as to no scratch them. Or pick up some stronger magnets.

Thanks I thought about the pliers with tubing over the ends but I was afraid id dent them. Ill try it tomorrow. Its kind of weird because they spin freely. Just will not pop out. Almost like a vacuum of some sort is holding them down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:41 AM

What's holding them down is likely to be that there is a ridge of aluminum "smeared" over the front edges of the bores at the point where they intersect the cam bores.  Dab a little grease and drag a knife blade over the corner as if you were going to whittle it and try again.  Most of the time, you can yank them up with a pair of needle nose, and the risk of distorting them is virtually nil, as you'll be grabbing them at the top edges only.

• ShsFunny

Posted August 24, 2013 - 04:46 PM

What's holding them down is likely to be that there is a ridge of aluminum "smeared" over the front edges of the bores at the point where they intersect the cam bores.  Dab a little grease and drag a knife blade over the corner as if you were going to whittle it and try again.  Most of the time, you can yank them up with a pair of needle nose, and the risk of distorting them is virtually nil, as you'll be grabbing them at the top edges only.

Jackpot!!! Geeze I hope you are a well compensated man Grey. You and others like you on here are always great at helping.

I got them out. I removed the head first and then took them out.

I used the small pliers from this set.

Magnum grip

and FINALLY got them out. It still wasnt easy. The center intake valve still took about 20 minutes to get out. Did it with no damage though. Thanks again for the help. On with the show. Time to replace my bent valves and get this thing rebuilt.

• highmarker

Posted August 24, 2013 - 05:04 PM

sometime it's just the oil tension holding them and a shot of carb cleaner or solvent will break em free.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.