Does a WR450 sans starter need the crankcase vent ?

6 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 23, 2013 - 10:39 AM

I removed the starter on my 2012 WR450. The starter housing has a crankcase vent built into it. Now that I removed the starter, do I need to keep the crankcase vent or can I plug it off ? As far as I know the YZs did not have a crankcase vent, only a valve cover vent. Thanks.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:51 PM

The lubrication diagrams for the 2009 YZ450F and the 2012 WR450 look identical. I suspect the starter breather on the WR450 is needed to prevent oil lock or facilitate oil flow to the starter idler gear.

• fixitandy

Posted August 24, 2013 - 02:16 AM

G'day, I blocked my starter vent on my brand new WR 450 07 the night I bought it home, never had any issues with motor/ trans ever. ROOSTA out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:03 PM

That vent is not a 'crank pressure breather' its a 'moisture remover' vent.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 25, 2013 - 07:47 PM

That vent is not a 'crank pressure breather' its a 'moisture remover' vent.

Why doesn't the moisture vacate via the valve cover ?

I removed the starter and plugged the hole with a frost plug.   It worked perfectly.     I removed the gearcase vent and plugged it off.   I went for a 3 hour ride with no issues.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 25, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Why doesn't the moisture vacate via the valve cover ?

I removed the starter and plugged the hole with a frost plug.   It worked perfectly.     I removed the gearcase vent and plugged it off.   I went for a 3 hour ride with no issues.

Just don't plug the valve cover breather....or you will get a loud surprise...the valve cover semi-circle gaskets come exploding out the side of the motor in about 15 min.

Not that I would have personal knowledge of this or anything....

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 27, 2013 - 11:00 AM

Just don't plug the valve cover breather....or you will get a loud surprise...the valve cover semi-circle gaskets come exploding out the side of the motor in about 15 min.

Not that I would have personal knowledge of this or anything....

LOL.  Thanks for sharing that !

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.