Cooling System Service???

1 reply to this topic
  • RCannon

Posted December 22, 2003 - 07:12 PM

Do yo guys do anythign special with regards to the cooling system? I have been changing my coolant twice a year (engine ice). I also flush it out with windex before re-filling it. I have never had any cooling issues and would liek to keep it that way! Is there anything else I shoudl be doing?

Bike is a 97 so it is getting up there in years....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted December 22, 2003 - 07:47 PM

RC, you've got it covered. Biggest killer in a cooling system is electrolysis. This stuff is all over aluminum like a west texas dust storm. But changing it every 2 years eliminates this. You going twice a year, wont have any trouble. Try to use anti-freeze that has no silicates or borates. (Oh, Toyotas red antifreeze fits this bill :) ) silicates can create trouble on a water pump seal while borates can create corrosion also. I use a conditioner/extender. I know others use a "water wetter" which helps to transfer heat. Keep the mixture to about 50/50 and use distilled water.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.