Head and base gasket installed backwards?

7 replies to this topic
  • HONDA NO MORE

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:56 PM

Just got done rebuilding my 2006 after the stopper level fell apart, it seems to be running a little bit hot, only thing i can think of is that maybe i put the base or head gasket in upside down and they are blocking some of the water jackets??  Is this possible?  I was pretty sure the base gasket was uni-direction, but it seemed the head gasket should only go on one way.  

Thanks,

• funke5372

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Well ya didn't even tell us the bike I'm guessing since its an 06 and had problems with the stopper plate it's a yz125? And I'm pretty sure you can install the base gasket on wrong and same with the head usually the head gasket has a wee lil tab that should be pointing towards the back of the motor.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2013 - 06:33 AM

If you installed either gasket backwards left-to-right, the chain tunnel portion would be sticking out the right side, so we'll guess that that wasn't done.  If the base gasket was installed backward front-to-rear, you'd have a massive coolant leak at the front of the base. 

Similarly, if it's even possible to flip the head gasket front-to-back, parts of the chain slot would misalign and protrude from under the joint. 

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Well ya didn't even tell us the bike I'm guessing since its an 06 and had problems with the stopper plate it's a yz125? And I'm pretty sure you can install the base gasket on wrong and same with the head usually the head gasket has a wee lil tab that should be pointing towards the back of the motor.

this is in a model specific part of the forum (yz450f)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • funke5372

Posted August 23, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Oops my bad Its my fault shoulda looked

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Okay thanks guys, this is on a 2006 YZ450F as well, just get really nervous after I have had a motor completely torn down.  It is quietier know with the new timing chain and properly shimmed valves.  Still curious about the heat, probably just in my head.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2013 - 09:16 PM

And no one EVER posts in the wrong forum by mistake, do they? :rolleyes:

Model and year are always important.  Unless you don't care how accurate the answer to your question is.

• funke5372

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:43 AM

And no one EVER posts in the wrong forum by mistake, do they? :rolleyes:

Model and year are always important. Unless you don't care how accurate the answer to your question is.

Oh I do this thread just popped up in the latest threads as I just read the response I'm sorry shoulda looked at the heading.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.