Stator wattage and burned out headlight bulbs?

4 replies to this topic
  • teejeeg

Posted August 22, 2013 - 12:05 PM

I have a 2004 WR450 that keeps burning out a 55/60 watt head light bulb in about 20 seconds. Could I put a 80/100 watt in and expect it to not burn out? How would I check if the PO put in a bigger wattage stator than the stock one?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 22, 2013 - 02:36 PM

Replace your broken Voltage Rectifier.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • teejeeg

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Where is that at? By the magneto? The wiring diagram shows the light coming off the magneto.

• SloDave

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Voltage regulator/rectifier is mounted to left side of frame close to fork on the wr450...

http://wr450wiring.blogspot.ca/

• grayracer513

Posted August 26, 2013 - 08:43 AM

The light does come off of the stator and runs on AC.  However, the voltage on that circuit is still subject to control by the regulator, and should not exceed 14 when tested by back probing with a DVOM across the yellow and black leads at the regulator.  Test it.

Attached Thumbnails

• regtest.png

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.