Generator Cover - Help!

5 replies to this topic
  • dhowell

Posted December 13, 2001 - 06:45 AM

Just wondering if anyone has ever had to replace the cover on the right side of the engine? The parts book refers to it as the Generator Cover.

I just wanted to know if you would go with the stock yamaha part ($90+) or aftermarket? If aftermarket, which brand and from who?

Thanks

• Dave_S

Posted December 13, 2001 - 06:54 AM

dhowell,

I replaced my generator cover two weeks ago with a yamaha part.

I looked at www.powersportspro.com partsfish and the cover they listed at the 'generator cover' is the clutch cover!?!

The Clutch is on the right when you are sitting on the bike and the generator is on the left. The generator cover is the one with the removable plugs in it.

I would look at the fish and order by part number to be sure you get the right one.

I got mine from a local shop and they gave me the right part when I asked for a generator cover (the one on the left side)

Dave S

• dhowell

Posted December 13, 2001 - 07:11 AM

Yea, I was kind of confussed by the terminology myself. When I went to look up the item I was expecting to see clutch cover not generator cover. Did you ever look into getting an aftermarket cover? How much did you end up spending?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dave_S

Posted December 13, 2001 - 07:21 AM

It was a hundred bucks and no, I didnt have time to look into an aftermarket cover. I was at the dunes and just happy to find one in stock that my buddy could pick up on his way to meet me.

Dave S

• rwcfrank

Posted December 13, 2001 - 09:25 AM

Be careful with aftermarket, some of the carbon fibre covers will not clear any weights you may have added!!!!

• flyinguitars

Posted December 13, 2001 - 10:36 PM

I found this one on the yamaha site http://www.yamaha-mo...cess_frame.html
Go to page 3 and its the 3rd pic down the page...they call this the ignition cover...a little pricey!!!! but you could shave off and ounce or two from stock..lol...looks pretty cool though..
Mike

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: flyinguitars ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.