Timing chain slap on 01 WR426

8 replies to this topic
  • Garry_on_a_426

Posted December 22, 2003 - 11:34 AM

I have a 01 426, and now that I can hear the motor over the roar of the exhaust, I notice I can hear the timing chain slapping if i keep it at a constant speed.

The thing runs great, is this something I should worry about?

• Hick

Posted December 22, 2003 - 11:42 AM

If your timing chain really is the source of the noise you will have big, big problems if you continue to ride it.

But I don't think it is.

The clutch and counter balancer both make a good bit of racket.

To verify this just make sure your cam tensioner is working, about a five minute affair, just remove head cover and operate the tensioner and see if the chain goes from taut to loose and back to taut again.

Hope this helps.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted December 22, 2003 - 12:04 PM

It only makes the noise when I am running at a constant speed, if I am accelerating or decelerating I don't hear it.

I had it in the shop and the guy looked at the timing, said it was just fine. Would he have seen that if it were a problem?

• Hick

Posted December 22, 2003 - 12:46 PM

Would he have seen that if it were a problem?

I certainly hope so...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted December 22, 2003 - 08:04 PM

I thought I had the same symptoms. Turned out to be the drive chain on the swing arm slider. The chain will flap at mid throttle, tighten up on accel or decel. Also, use some RTV sealer under the slider. This prevents it from beating on the swing arm which can eventually lead to a large wear area or even a crack. It solved my "timing chain noise" :)

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted December 23, 2003 - 10:48 AM

I replaced the chain, and have a slider, but what in the world is RTV sealer?

• Hick

Posted December 23, 2003 - 02:25 PM

RTV Silicone is an automotive gasket sealer / gasket maker.

• RichBaker

Posted December 23, 2003 - 02:39 PM

Room Temperature Vulcanizing silicone sealer....

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted December 23, 2003 - 10:15 PM

Thought it was something to seal your RV, didnt ya? :D RTV means "room temerature vulcanizing" and its usually black and seals cases etc. The other type is anerobic, dries with no air and then you have the silicone stuff. RTV is ideal for your bike! Toyota calls it "FIPG" or formed in place gasket", another fancy name for RTV. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.