Anybody else feel like the 2014 yz 450f is gonna kick ass?

34 replies to this topic
  • hostile silence

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:06 AM

i know a pretty reputable guy with a 2012 crf450, when he rides my 14 yz450, he says he doesnt even want to ride his crf anymore... when i rode the crf, it felt like a turd that got stuck in the toilet..

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:46 AM

I thought I read 58hp on the 14

That would almost ceratinly be 1) crankshaft horsepower, as opposed to rear wheel horsepower, or, 2) BS.

The amount of work it takes to get to 58-60 rwhp with a 450 MX bike (any brand) is inspiring.  given the limitation that the engine has to produce power over a wide range to be useful, there are limitations (related to valve event timing, mostly) that tend to hold the as built peak power down a little.  Most of the top guns run at somewhere between 48-53 rwhp.  If you ever rode one of the 58+ hp engines used in flat track racing, you would probably decide quite quickly that you wouldn't be able to mange it on an MX track very easily at all.  They're a lot like a modified 500cc two-stroke.

• hostile silence

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Im pretty sure it was 58hp crank, nevertheless, hp numbers or not, the bike has power throughout... im not a big hp number craver either, I prefer function And control over being able to tell my bbuddies how many hp my dirtbike puts down

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:03 AM

You'll never see anyone name off a list of mods that have any kind of an accurate estimate attached as to what (IF anything) they gain from it, either.

• gruberyz

Posted August 22, 2013 - 12:26 PM

If they would change the stupid air filter setup on the yZ i might be interested

• hostile silence

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:53 PM

If they would change the stupid air filter setup on the yZ i might be interested

Stupid, how so? Makes sense in my head to have intake in front, exhaust in back. Ive never seen a vehicle put the intake behind the engine. .. do some cars make em? Possibility. ..
But air going straight in seems right...
Explain yourself young jedi

• hostile silence

Posted August 22, 2013 - 01:57 PM

I almost hope they never change it, so you can never ever be interested. Ever. Period!
I wanna understand what you are saying.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:51 PM

There isn't anything at all "stupid" about that setup, with the possible exception of the comparatively small amount of area on the element.  The '14 is both larger and slightly simpler to access.  

Ever change one in an '02-'08 CRF450?  THAT is stupid. 

• ah665

Posted August 22, 2013 - 06:55 PM

I agree, Hostile. The '14 filter seems to be simpler than the older style was. The filter in the front makes perfect sense, sorta like my R6. I like everything about that. 

Amen to that, Grey. It's a puzzle to get that filter in/out of that airbox and get filter lined up on those Hondas.

• Englishman

Posted August 23, 2013 - 01:56 PM

They look great but the general consensus is it's not night and day better, at least that's what all the guys that have tested/tried them have said.

That being said I got my  2011 to work for me with minimal $$ so...... either a new Yam or KTM in my garage before years end I hope !

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted August 23, 2013 - 06:10 PM

My take on the 2014. And I was in line to get one but broke my wrist 8 weeks ago, but I have had 3 newer generations YZ's so......

If it was that good and better than what JGR is riding now, they would have used them like they used 2008 YZ's during the 07 450 outdoor season so Grant Langston could win a championship. Or....

They would have rolled it out like Kawasaki did in 2011, when Ryan Villopoto ran the 2012 and won the outdoor title in 2011.

I don't think the new Yamaha  it is THAT much different a bike. Hell the 2010 seemed to have more power than the 2012.

Turning issues: I never had any after I decided to actually ride the bike in 2010. It is a little different, but once you accept it for what it is, watch out!, But I purchased Ohlins TTX suspension front and rear, and I let some national riders ride my bike and thought it turned as well as their Suzukis.

The forks are just tighter or more rigid, and therefore, it turns better. Or maybe the distance between the centerline of the fork tube  and the axle is a little different than stock, so it turns better. I am talking at the fork lugs at the bottom. I am sure Gray knows what this dimension is called.....

• Freestyle-MX-Racer

Posted August 23, 2013 - 08:33 PM

My take on the 2014. And I was in line to get one but broke my wrist 8 weeks ago, but I have had 3 newer generations YZ's so......

If it was that good and better than what JGR is riding now, they would have used them like they used 2008 YZ's during the 07 450 outdoor season so Grant Langston could win a championship. Or....

They would have rolled it out like Kawasaki did in 2011, when Ryan Villopoto ran the 2012 and won the outdoor title in 2011.

I don't think the new Yamaha it is THAT much different a bike. Hell the 2010 seemed to have more power than the 2012.

Turning issues: I never had any after I decided to actually ride the bike in 2010. It is a little different, but once you accept it for what it is, watch out!, But I purchased Ohlins TTX suspension front and rear, and I let some national riders ride my bike and thought it turned as well as their Suzukis.

The forks are just tighter or more rigid, and therefore, it turns better. Or maybe the distance between the centerline of the fork tube and the axle is a little different than stock, so it turns better. I am talking at the fork lugs at the bottom. I am sure Gray knows what this dimension is called.....

I got my 14:) it's night and day different then my fully modded 13 crf450r! And in a great way better then any 250, 450 MX bike! It turns amazing. Feels so light and nimble. Runs soo good. Great throttle response. Great torque. Gets traction great. Handles the few little jump(20-40ft doubles on a small track in woods behind house) it feels right. To me riding the 20 mins threw trails(tight single track and more open quad trails) it felt nice for trails but I race only MX with the 450! I got my trails bikes! But man I'd post a pic or two but it won't let me!

• Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Posted August 24, 2013 - 04:55 AM

I got my 14:) it's night and day different then my fully modded 13 crf450r! And in a great way better then any 250, 450 MX bike! It turns amazing. Feels so light and nimble. Runs soo good. Great throttle response. Great torque. Gets traction great. Handles the few little jump(20-40ft doubles on a small track in woods behind house) it feels right. To me riding the 20 mins threw trails(tight single track and more open quad trails) it felt nice for trails but I race only MX with the 450! I got my trails bikes! But man I'd post a pic or two but it won't let me!

Like I said in my first point, it turns pretty damn good! I just thought it turned different at first in 2010, but as soon as I accepted it and rode it as intended, I have NEVER had a complaint on handling. 

In 38  years of racing, I won on that platform of a bike more, as in percentage, then ANY other bikes that I have owned. 

The only reason I bought the TTX  Ohlins is that I wanted something that absorbed flatlandings from big jumps a little better than the stock stuff. Like the times you over jump a big double or something.  It just seemed to turn a little sharper without loosing the straight line drivability of the bike with the TTX. Kinda like sliding the forks up in the claps 10mm, but not making the front wiggle down the straights. That sort of thing.

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens, August 24, 2013 - 04:57 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2013 - 10:19 AM

To address the original question, Mr. Harris does....

http://www.thumperta...-and-dyno-test/

• Itsbroken

Posted August 24, 2013 - 11:28 AM

I just swapped out the tires on my '14 to Bridgestone 404/403. Put the 90/100 on the front. I can't believe what a differance that made. I was really happy with the bike before but now it's just amazing. I was hitting corners so fast I would "chicken out" and stand it up the first few laps. That front end is solidly planted wherever I put it.
Oh, zero overheating issues. I remember someone asking about that in one of these threads.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.