No more Renthal Bars for me

29 replies to this topic
  • Kirtwell

Posted December 12, 2001 - 09:03 AM

#1!+P hoto%2bAlbum%26.src=ph%26.view=t

• Tim

Posted December 12, 2001 - 09:16 AM

Wow, you must be pissed. I could not read a word you tried to type. :)

• Alain

Posted December 12, 2001 - 09:36 AM

I don`t know how you broke`em but a friend of mine go the same result when he crashed his XR600 on a 5th gear wheelie...luckily enough he only had a few bruises...

• candlkirk

Posted December 12, 2001 - 09:44 AM

Were they Twinwalls? I have a pair of Twinwalls and LOVE them. I know one guy who landed off a jump and his bars broke, but they were not Twinwalls. If yours was not Twinwalls, you should get a pair, you would love them. Chris

• DaveJ

Posted December 12, 2001 - 10:14 PM

Due to the seriousness of this, you should detail what happened.

Did this bike fall out of the back of the truck, or did they break while landing a jump?

• Chris_Slade

Posted December 12, 2001 - 10:24 PM

My uncle also had a set of renthals, as they were cost effective. THey broke on him in the desert, and caused him serious injurys. He will never buy a set of renthals again, and swears by ProTapers....same thing I have always used.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 12, 2001 - 11:44 AM

Hey try the Oneil prolocks on there doublewall bars the price is right and I never had any break I've sold hundereds of them. I use the FMF 909 bars and they cost more but they kickass I've crashed couple of good crashes and they wont bend or break :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 12, 2001 - 01:14 PM

Am I the only one who can't see Kirtwells picture?

• DPW

Posted December 12, 2001 - 01:29 PM

sirthumpalot I couldn't see the picture either I just copied the address into my browser to see the picture.

Those are not Twin-Walls, just the standard 7/8 model, the triple clamp and bar mounts look stock to me.

'99 YZ400F

• Chris_Slade

Posted December 12, 2001 - 01:47 PM

#10!+P hoto%2bAlbum%26.src=ph%26.view=t

click that

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Chris Slade ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted December 12, 2001 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the link. ouch!! I'm very curious to know if the break was due to a crash, or did it break while riding?

• Looped_Out

Posted December 12, 2001 - 05:14 PM

I don't care for Renthal either. In the real world where you and I ride, they don't hold up.

• motoman393

Posted December 12, 2001 - 06:22 PM

My friend Michael who rides a KX125 had a set of renthals that busted exactly like yours. Except it almost seriously injured him! He wrecked in a berm and got tangled underneath the bike and the "jagged" bars broke his chest protector and just barely missed his rib cage (could have been real nasty). The thing about twinwalls is that they have an inner wall and this wall is thinner than the outer wall and is prone to breakage (from flex)...and how are you going to know if it is broken or not when you cant see it?

On the other hand I have never seen a Pro Taper snap (but I have seen 3 renthals snap)! The Pro Tapers are a far superior bar IMO, and I have first hand experience that they can take ALOT of abuse and can bend very far from their "stock" position and still not break. Later,

• BMC1

Posted December 12, 2001 - 09:07 PM

I had a pair of 7/8 Renthals break right at the clamp in a crash before also. In their defense I had bent them back with a big pipe after a previous crash bent them a little before. If you crash allot get the big bars. Then again I bailed out big one time and snapped a set of ProTapers at the same spot. Oh well it's only money... :)

• Merfman

Posted December 13, 2001 - 05:04 AM

I've seen one set of Pro Tapers snap Garrett. The resulting
carnage was pretty unreal though as my buddy broke both arms
while breaking the PT's. It definitely wast NOT the fault of the PT's.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 13, 2001 - 06:06 AM

I had renthals on my 250 and so did my friend.
Niether broke but after one MILD
and I do mean MILD crash........"together"!!! :D
both of us had to replace and DID NOT go back to renthals! :D

But on the other hand my friend w/00'wr has gone thru 2 pair PT's
He is a pa siko#@*&#
and does mostly hard core trail 70mph!!!!
This last time he had missed a corner and flew off of a ledge and the entire 600lbs of WR landed on the left side bar end but did not break....only bent about 1" !!!!! :D
So PT's are not invincible either but I believe a much better product for the $$$$$$

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER ]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 13, 2001 - 06:18 AM

oh yeah almost forgot about todd my friend w/kx250.
He usually only does DEZ and went out this past summer and gave the MX thing a shot one more time.
He went long on a DBL and snapped a pair of the PT's like a twig! :D
When he put them on with a new 3clamp he FAILED to FILE down the edges on the 3clamp!
Those things are like steak knives are to butter!
They are very sharp and cut alum very quickly and weaken in a spot at the edge of the clamp and sooner or later WHAMMO!
He broke 3 ribs and knocked the jack schmidt out of him! :)
Lucky that is all that happened to him!

• BikeDestroyer

Posted December 13, 2001 - 01:46 PM

My husband did the same exact thing to his Renthal bars when he grazed a tree in Colorado. He never crashed or anything. He now runs the same bars I do Pro-tapers.

• Norman

Posted December 13, 2001 - 02:06 PM

Well I had the same thing happen to me, mine broke right at the triple clamp in a real bad crash. I sent them back to Renthal and they sent me a new pair.

Norman K.

• UNCHeelYeah

Posted December 13, 2001 - 02:27 PM

I've seen Renthals bend, break, etc. I don't care how many championships they claim to have garnered, I don't want to get killed by them! I use FMF 909's...never heard of them bending or breaking. They are actually made by Reikon. You may remember them from a few years back. They kick don't really need double-walls..I got my 909's for $60.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.