6 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Just saying....

Edited by FinchFan394, August 15, 2013 - 01:33 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:37 AM

OK, but what are you just saying?

• FinchFan194

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:27 AM

A few months ago a guy on here was looking for more free wheeling effect from his YZ450, I suggested a Rekluse and you shot me down. I was working on mine and noticed this and thought of you! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shrubitup

Posted August 16, 2013 - 08:44 AM

Right so I was looking for less freewheeling from my cr250 and found it in a stock yz450. :moon:

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2013 - 09:42 AM

A few months ago a guy on here was looking for more free wheeling effect from his YZ450, I suggested a Rekluse and you shot me down. I was working on mine and noticed this and thought of you! :)

That's all well and good, but the info on that photocopy is so poorly worded that it can be taken to mean at least two things, one of which is BS.   What it absolutely does not mean is that the engine will ever freewheel on coast just by releasing the throttle.

This is what it actually means:  If you set your idle below the stall, or engagement RPM, then if you let off the gas at speed AND pull the clutch lever in, AND allow the engine to settle back to an idle, the clutch will disengage, and if you then release the lever,  the bike will freewheel until it either comes to a stop or you blip the throttle to raise the engine beyond the stall speed.   If you set your idle higher than the stall RPM, let off the gas at speed and disengage the clutch manually, it will re-engage itself when you release the lever because the clutch basket and pressure plate assembly is turning fast enough to do so just because it's idling.

But regardless of whether the idle speed is above or below the stall RPM, there is nothing about the set up that will disengage the clutch just by backing off the gas at speed.  Think about it.  The clutch is engaged by centrifugal force ONLY, and is only dependent on the speed of the clutch basket assembly, which is geared to the crank.  If you are running at 6000 RPM and release the throttle, what is there that will cause the clutch basket to slow down if the clutch is engaged because it's in gear and spinning that fast.  The only way that can happen is if the clutch disengages and lets the engine slow to less than stall speeds, but it can't release the engine unless the rider overrides it, or the bike finally slows to that speed.

Another point is that if the engine idle is above the stall speed, the bike will be prone to brake stalling.  With the idle set below stall, you stomp the brake, lock the wheel, but as the engine is brought to a near halt, it releases from the rest of the drive train at just over its idle speed and stays running.  with the idle set higher than stall, the engine has to be slowed to a point below its idle speed before the clutch releases, which is already difficult enough to recover from even if you pull the lever.  If you don't, the engine will try to return to an idle, which will in turn try to re-engage the clutch, and likely stall the engine.

The Rekluse is an auto-engaging clutch.  What the poster you are referring to was looking for is a "back torque limiting", or "slipper" clutch.  Some of the monster crotch rockets have these in them OEM to reduce the tendency to skid the rear wheel in hard corners on a throttle release.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 16, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I agree with your assessment, but he was looking to reduce free wheeling, not delete it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2013 - 12:07 PM

Whatever.  But unless the rider manually causes freewheeling with a Rekluse, there isn't any. 

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.