yz400f project?

I have a deal for a 99 yz400f needing work for 800. I've heard these steel valve motors are more reliable than 250fs. I was planning on getting a 250f and I know I can handle one. But an older 400f? How would they compare to a modern day 250f in terms of power? I would be riding sand pits and a straight quad trail in the woods. Turning isn't as important as stability. However, there are jumps at this sand pits that I would like to do.

I have a deal for a 99 yz400f needing work for 800. I've heard these steel valve motors are more reliable than 250fs. I was planning on getting a 250f and I know I can handle one. But an older 400f? How would they compare to a modern day 250f in terms of power? I would be riding sand pits and a straight quad trail in the woods. Turning isn't as important as stability. However, there are jumps at this sand pits that I would like to do.

I wouldnt take one unless it was given to me or pretty close to it. Id pass.

i had one and now i have a 250 bored to a 280 the 400 is alot faster but the 250 makes up for it in the corners because of the weight but for a sand pit its great it will go up anything

Are they easy to ride? I'm coming off of a kx100. Of course is take it slow at first.

it was my first bike since a cr125 when I was a teen (20+ years)..

its plenty easy to ride in most situations.. I picked a cheap one up needing work like you..

the biggest problem is they are heavy, but they have more than enough power

on the moto track and wider trail riding it was great

where I live there are some really technical slow trails (mostly ridden by trials bikes) and it was really tough to ride the 400 there.. the weight killed me.. I would be worn out in no time.. other than that I would go for it

I think you could do better than $800.. a broken race bike that old isnt worth much.. offer $600 

I think you would be better off just finding another yz/WR/400f/426/450. 800 sounds great. But parts add up. You can put over 1000 into a blown up 4 stroke depending on how bad it is. But they are great bikes. Yamaha nailed it with that bike. It's basic engine design has been around for years on all kinds of bikes and quads.