yz400f project?

8 replies to this topic
  • dirtbikesandlacrosse

Posted August 14, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I have a deal for a 99 yz400f needing work for 800. I've heard these steel valve motors are more reliable than 250fs. I was planning on getting a 250f and I know I can handle one. But an older 400f? How would they compare to a modern day 250f in terms of power? I would be riding sand pits and a straight quad trail in the woods. Turning isn't as important as stability. However, there are jumps at this sand pits that I would like to do.

• cgirouard423

Posted August 14, 2013 - 06:15 PM

I have a deal for a 99 yz400f needing work for 800. I've heard these steel valve motors are more reliable than 250fs. I was planning on getting a 250f and I know I can handle one. But an older 400f? How would they compare to a modern day 250f in terms of power? I would be riding sand pits and a straight quad trail in the woods. Turning isn't as important as stability. However, there are jumps at this sand pits that I would like to do.

I wouldnt take one unless it was given to me or pretty close to it. Id pass.

• KTMsxf05

Posted August 14, 2013 - 06:32 PM

i had one and now i have a 250 bored to a 280 the 400 is alot faster but the 250 makes up for it in the corners because of the weight but for a sand pit its great it will go up anything

• downonmonday

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:34 PM

They are fast bikes and reliable. My good friend had one for several years after resurrecting it from someone's barn. I was surprised by the power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtbikesandlacrosse

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Are they easy to ride? I'm coming off of a kx100. Of course is take it slow at first.

• High_Boost

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Are they easy to ride? I'm coming off of a kx100. Of course is take it slow at first.

it was my first bike since a cr125 when I was a teen (20+ years)..

its plenty easy to ride in most situations.. I picked a cheap one up needing work like you..

the biggest problem is they are heavy, but they have more than enough power

on the moto track and wider trail riding it was great

where I live there are some really technical slow trails (mostly ridden by trials bikes) and it was really tough to ride the 400 there.. the weight killed me.. I would be worn out in no time.. other than that I would go for it

I think you could do better than $800.. a broken race bike that old isnt worth much.. offer $600 

• NB061

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:01 PM

I remember them being titanium valves, very heavy compared to todays bikes. I would go with the $600 idea also.

• MaxPower

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:01 PM

I think you would be better off just finding another yz/WR/400f/426/450. 800 sounds great. But parts add up. You can put over 1000 into a blown up 4 stroke depending on how bad it is. But they are great bikes. Yamaha nailed it with that bike. It's basic engine design has been around for years on all kinds of bikes and quads.

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:43 AM

I remember them being titanium valves, very heavy compared to todays bikes. I would go with the $600 idea also.

All YZF's up to and including the 2000 year model had stainless valves.  That includes all 400's and the 2000 426.

The 400 is about 20 pounds heavier than an '06 YZ450.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.