Picking up New 2012 Friday. Have some questions.

41 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:49 AM

Here she is in all her glory!

null_zps22dd090b.jpg

And here is the sad pic of my 2006 getting stripped of all her goodies that can transfer to her replacement. Sad day.

null_zpsfe494977.jpg

• thirdcoaster

Posted August 17, 2013 - 01:28 PM

So I rode the bike around my house real quickly last night 100% stock and noticed a BIG lack of bottom end power with a decent hit in the middle. Does the GYTR FMF pipe and programed ECU and shorter throttle stop add do the bottom end and make the power more linear? I like lots of low to mid power and would easily give up top end power to gain some on bottom. I am really hoping that uncorking it will just add power everywhere and make it more linear. Those who have uncorked already, what does it do to the power characteristics besides just adding power?

I started with the FMF Q4, FMF map in the comp ecu, throttle stop out, and air box snorkel removed and the bike still had pretty weak bottom end and a midrange hit. I went here:
http://www.thumperta...-comp-ecu-maps/
I installed the "#9" map from post 16 and it really woke the bottom end up as well as smoothed out any hit. Starting was better and the bike ran cooler as well. I'm at sea level and temps are high 90's...hope this helps.

• woods-rider

Posted August 17, 2013 - 03:13 PM

I started with the FMF Q4, FMF map in the comp ecu, throttle stop out, and air box snorkel removed and the bike still had pretty weak bottom end and a midrange hit. I went here:
http://www.thumperta...-comp-ecu-maps/
I installed the "#9" map from post 16 and it really woke the bottom end up as well as smoothed out any hit. Starting was better and the bike ran cooler as well. I'm at sea level and temps are high 90's...hope this helps.

Wow, that's some great info! I typically ride from about 1,000' to 7,000' with temps anywhere from the 30s to the 90s. Do you think this map would work well for me also or does someone who rides similar conditions as I use a different map with good results?

I also plan on replacing the stock computer with my Trail Tech Voyager that I had on my 2006. I have read that this can cause some issues with the check engine light etc. Is there any truth to this? If so, can I just remove the check engine light also without any issues?

Edited by woods-rider, August 17, 2013 - 03:27 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted August 18, 2013 - 06:15 PM

Is there a way to turn off the fuel like you can with the petcock on carburated bikes? It's not often that I don't ride for more than two weeks at a time, but if I know I will be busy for a few weeks I like to turn the fuel off and let the bike idle dry to keep the fuel from gumming up the jets (or injectors in this case). It's also nice to just turn off the fuel when removing the tank as opposed to draining it for removal.

• twheat

Posted August 18, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I have not found a place to turn the fuel off. Your manual should tell you. Fuel doesn't come out of the tank when you disconnect the fuel line either. I was worried about this when I pulled my tank to check my valves.

• woods-rider

Posted August 19, 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have not found a place to turn the fuel off. Your manual should tell you. Fuel doesn't come out of the tank when you disconnect the fuel line either. I was worried about this when I pulled my tank to check my valves.

Does gas pour out of any vent lines if you lay it over?

• JDLowrance

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Disconnect tank, remove from bike, pour fuel into large fuel can. This is the easiest way to drain the tank if you need to do some work on the bike with the tank off.

To remove fuel without removing tank will require a siphon or hand pump. I've tried the Jiggler and didn't care for the way the brass end was banging into the fuel pump so went to Harbour Freight and bought a small $5 hand pump. It works well at transfering fuel from tank to fuel can sitting on floor. The rubber ends of the pump leak a little bit but it works well enough for now until I fnd something better.

http://www.harborfre...t?q=fuel siphon

Looks like they are not on sale any longer but still, $7.99....worth it.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted August 21, 2013 - 07:37 PM

I just pulled and swapped out my tank for an ims as well as did my first valve check. Fuel will not come out of the tank because the fuel pump won't let it. A very small amount came out of the fuel line but if you keep that elevated it won't be much either. I just pulled the tank and set it on a piece of cardboard for a few days.

• woods-rider

Posted August 22, 2013 - 07:21 AM

I just pulled and swapped out my tank for an ims as well as did my first valve check. Fuel will not come out of the tank because the fuel pump won't let it. A very small amount came out of the fuel line but if you keep that elevated it won't be much either. I just pulled the tank and set it on a piece of cardboard for a few days.

Good to know. My tank should be here today. Sounds like a fairly simple swap. Not quite as easy as with a carb, but still not too bad.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:58 AM

On a different post, I did put a few pictures of my tank swap and some other stuff, like how the safety clip comes off. That was probably the biggest thing to a tank swap. While the tank was off I did also check the valve gap but since you probably don't have any time on the bike yet it probably isn't important. I still only have 5 hours on mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:52 AM

On a different post, I did put a few pictures of my tank swap and some other stuff, like how the safety clip comes off. That was probably the biggest thing to a tank swap. While the tank was off I did also check the valve gap but since you probably don't have any time on the bike yet it probably isn't important. I still only have 5 hours on mine.

Have a link to that post?

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:01 AM

http://www.thumperta...s-tank-12wr450/

• woods-rider

Posted August 22, 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thanks! That should be very helpful.

• woods-rider

Posted August 23, 2013 - 11:22 AM

So IMS sent me the wrong tank. They sent me one for a WR250R. They are shipping me the right one over night and should be here Monday.

I am having trouble finding a way to get access to a Power Tuner to load the FMF map on my competition ECU. None are for sale locally and only one dealer has one around here and they say that they will need my bike for 3 days to load the map. That's ridiculous IMO as it's only a 5 min job. Either way, I won't be able to get the map loaded until Monday at the soonest most likely (all though I have put an add on craigslist offering $20 to anyone who will let me use theirs in their driveway for a few minutes.

My question is, if I install the FMF power core 4, have the competition ECU installed, but have not loaded any map, is it OK to ride like that?

• vlxjim

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:26 PM

The GYTR ECU has a better map than stock. You might be OK but probably get some popping on decell. That said you should get the programer as the FMF map is for the Q4 and you well still need some dialing in. Map #9 (do a search) some like I use a custom map thats more like the FMF map with the timing cut down a little. With the timing up like it is the bike hits to hard. The great thing about FI over carb style is not only can you adjust the fuel but also the timing.

• woods-rider

Posted August 23, 2013 - 12:28 PM

That said you should get the programer as the FMF map is for the Q4 and you well still need some dialing in.

I think the FMF map should be for the power core 4 as that is what the GYTR FMF pipe is.

http://www.yamahamot...5/0/detail.aspx

Does the GYTR competition ECU come with the same map loaded as the stock ECU?

Edited by woods-rider, August 23, 2013 - 12:29 PM.

• GP1K

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:56 PM

The GYTR ECU has a better map than stock. You might be OK but probably get some popping on decell. That said you should get the programer as the FMF map is for the Q4 and you well still need some dialing in. Map #9 (do a search) some like I use a custom map thats more like the FMF map with the timing cut down a little. With the timing up like it is the bike hits to hard. The great thing about FI over carb style is not only can you adjust the fuel but also the timing.

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure it's for the Powercore, as that's what's in the 'race kit' and what most racers would run. Not sure how much difference it would make either way though. The Q won't flow as good as the Powercore w/out insert, but still way better than stock.

FWIW I'm running a Map #9 with just a tad less fuel and tad more ignition, works great.

• GP1K

Posted August 23, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think the FMF map should be for the power core 4 as that is what the GYTR FMF pipe is.

http://www.yamahamot...5/0/detail.aspx

Does the GYTR competition ECU come with the same map loaded as the stock ECU?

No... the stock ECU is lean and retarded, for emissions. The GYTR ECU comes with all zeroes map, which is still way better than the stock ECU, esp with your mods. You'll be ok with that til you can get a custom map in there, but depending on where/how you ride, you may find it too snappy off the bottom and some people are get decel popping as well.

• woods-rider

Posted August 24, 2013 - 07:41 AM

No... the stock ECU is lean and retarded, for emissions. The GYTR ECU comes with all zeroes map, which is still way better than the stock ECU, esp with your mods. You'll be ok with that til you can get a custom map in there, but depending on where/how you ride, you may find it too snappy off the bottom and some people are get decel popping as well.

Cool. I put the pipe on and did a few quick laps at home and there's a HUGE difference between the Core 4 and the stock pipe! The bike seemed to run just fine with the map that comes on the GYTR ECU. I did end up ordering the tuner yesterday from Rockymountain for $206 because I couldn't find any one or any place local that had one for sale or use that didn't need my bike for multiple days. After riding with the map that comes on the GYTR ECU I'm not sure I will need the tuner as it ran great. I'll test it more tomorrow as I'm actually going to a local riding spot to put the bike through it's paces. The tuner won't be here until Tuesday so I'll see how she runs tomorrow and decide if I want to keep the tuner or not.

• woods-rider

Posted August 26, 2013 - 06:54 AM

Broke the bike in yesterday. Man, what a difference this thing is compared to my clapped out 2006! If feels so much lighter and the throttle response is INSTANT. It is too loud for my taste though with the powercore 4 so I ordered the quiet insert for it. Is anyone running the quiet insert? How does the mapping compare? I assume the insert will soften the hit a bit (which I am fine with), but will the FMF maps work just fine with the insert in there or should I be leaning them out to compensate?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.