Picking up New 2012 Friday. Have some questions.

41 replies to this topic
  • woods-rider

Posted August 14, 2013 - 06:02 PM

So, I finally pulled the trigger on a 2012 WR450F. I got the dealer down to $6k out the door which I think is pretty good. I have a 2006 WR450F now that is mildly modified. I plan on doing some basic mods to the 2012 right when i get her do avoid the dissappointment that I had on the first ride of my 2006 (before any mods). I plan on getting the competition ECU, GYTR FMF pipe and IMS 3 gal tank (only one I could find fot the 2012) immediately. The dealer is selling me these items at dealer cost. My main question is, does the competition ECU come with any maps pre-programed into it? My dealer didn't know so they called Yamaha, and the guy who answered the phone coldn't even tell me. I thought I remembered reading that it comes with a map specifically for the YZ throttle stop and GYTR FMF pipe. Is this correct? I don't really want to buy the tuner.

On my 2006 I ended up removing the tiny end baffle and the whole exit hole thing that houses the baffle and drilled 4 1/2" holes through the chambers in the exhause to make it more like a straight through exhaust. I was happey with the performance improvements, but it was a bit louder than I would have liked. Can similar mods be done to the 2012 stock exhaust, and if so, how would a modded stock exhaust compare to the GYTR FMF?

I have a scotts damper on my 2006, but also have a frame post that fits YZ smoker AL frames. Does anyone know if this post will fit the new WR AL frame? I am pretty sure my WR steel frame damper post won't fit.

I will probably update this thread with more questions as I come up with them and I'll be sure to post some pics of my new girl when I get her home!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:18 PM

The scotts post won't fit from your older WR, but the YZ one might. Go on Scotts sight and compare model numbers.

The ECU + FMF pipe works great, and it has a FMF map built in.

• woods-rider

Posted August 14, 2013 - 07:21 PM

The scotts post won't fit from your older WR, but the YZ one might. Go on Scotts sight and compare model numbers.

Good idea, I'll check Scotts site for part numbers.

I thought it came with a map for the FMF, but the dealer wasn't so sure so I was questioning myself.

Any other over size tanks for the 2012+ besides the IMS 3 gal?

• GP1K

Posted August 15, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Are you sure about that? IIRC my comp ECU came with all zeros map, where the stock ECU is lean on the fuel & retarded on the ignition. The FMF map adds fuel and ignition advance. I'm now running a slightly modified version of map #9 from the other FI thread here.

• woods-rider

Posted August 15, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Where do you get the FMF map if the ECU doesn't come with one pre-programmed?

Posted August 15, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Where do you get the FMF map if the ECU doesn't come with one pre-programmed?

You will need the programmer to input the map.

Posted August 15, 2013 - 11:50 AM

http://www.thumperta...+ignition +maps

• Bcfd113

Posted August 15, 2013 - 12:27 PM

My competition ecu came with 0 maps installed.

• woods-rider

Posted August 15, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Can you install maps on the ECU without it hooked up to the bike?

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Can you install maps on the ECU without it hooked up to the bike?

Not using the programmer. The bikes electrical system has to be turned on to upload the program to the bikes comp.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted August 15, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Could you plug it Into a yz450 to upload the map then take it off? I am asking because I am picking up the bike tomorrow, but they have to order the ecu and they will have no more wr450s. I am trying to figure out how they can upload the map for me before they ship me the ecu. It's a 3 hr drive from my house to this dealer so I don't wanna haul my bike down there just to get dealer cost on these parts. Do most dealers upload maps for free even if you didn't buy your bike from them?

If not, does anyone in the Portland area own one of the Yamaha tuners and wouldn't mind me swinging by with a 6 pack and letting me use it for a few min in their driveway?

Edited by woods-rider, August 15, 2013 - 02:27 PM.

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Could you plug it Into a yz450 to upload the map then take it off? I am asking because I am picking up the bike tomorrow, but they have to order the ecu and they will have no more wr450s. I am trying to figure out how they can upload the map for me before they ship me the ecu. It's a 3 hr drive from my house to this dealer so I don't wanna haul my bike down there just to get dealer cost on these parts. Do most dealers upload maps for free even if you didn't buy your bike from them?

If not, does anyone in the Portland area own one of the Yamaha tuners and wouldn't mind me swinging by with a 6 pack and letting me use it for a few min in their driveway?

If your asking about taking the stock ECU off the WR and trying to program it by installing it on the Yz then no, that wont work.

• woods-rider

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:18 PM

If your asking about taking the stock ECU off the WR and trying to program it by installing it on the Yz then no, that wont work.

No, not the stock ECU. I mean, can you plug the competition ECU into a YZ to program it, then transfer it to the WR and have it keep the program?

The dealer won't have any WRs to plug the competition ECU into, but he does have some YZs. Will he be able to program the GYTR competition ECU for me before he ships it to me? He has the Yamaha tuner also.

Posted August 16, 2013 - 05:21 AM

I don't see why that wouldn't work. The part numbers between the two are slightly different but that might just be a program thing. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Posted August 16, 2013 - 05:26 AM

The dealer can load the map to the ECU and once loaded "using the programmer" he can verify the map is on the ECU before sending it out.

• woods-rider

Posted August 16, 2013 - 06:12 AM

Great, I'll see if they are willing to so that for me.

• WRMadMan

Posted August 16, 2013 - 09:36 PM

The tuner comes with some basic map features that you can program. Loose dirt, mud, track etc. I just rode 900 miles of dirt from New Mexico to Wyoming -through the Rockies. An epic trip with no one hesitation, issue or complaint.... Wait the seat sucks for that. Many days.

Did all the mods, snorkel, grey wire, removed the throttle stop, new FMF pipe, some suspension adjustments and the bike is a rock star. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1376717788.608328.jpg

• woods-rider

Posted August 16, 2013 - 10:29 PM

I didn't think there was a grey wire mod on the 12+ models?

• JDLowrance

Posted August 17, 2013 - 07:16 AM

I didn't think there was a grey wire mod on the 12+ models?

There isn't.

• woods-rider

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:12 AM

So I rode the bike around my house real quickly last night 100% stock and noticed a BIG lack of bottom end power with a decent hit in the middle. Does the GYTR FMF pipe and programed ECU and shorter throttle stop add do the bottom end and make the power more linear? I like lots of low to mid power and would easily give up top end power to gain some on bottom. I am really hoping that uncorking it will just add power everywhere and make it more linear. Those who have uncorked already, what does it do to the power characteristics besides just adding power?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.