Getting Cold.....

7 replies to this topic
  • YZDUDE17

Posted December 11, 2001 - 04:08 PM

I've owned my yz426 for 2 weeks now and when i bought it ran perfectly. Now that the temp has drop down to around 40-50, the bike will kick over and start, only to idle for a second or two. I was thinking about adjusting the air screw, but wanted some advice first. I am new to the 4 stroke world. Thanks in advance!

• h_bomb

Posted December 11, 2001 - 04:28 PM

I just got one also .I want to no to :)

• YZDUDE17

Posted December 11, 2001 - 04:28 PM

someones gotta know this.....

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 11, 2001 - 04:33 PM

I just rode the other day and it was 19drgs! Bike ran fine 'cept the susp took 6hrs to warm up.......LOL! and the pilot was a little stiff and cold!!!! Hadn't started for 2wks and just blipped the throttle w.o. 2 times and fired up on the 1st kick! Gotta love yammy!
Maybe you are a little lean? for winter temps and humidity?
40-50 cold?
We drive down south 5hrs for temps like that! and have to suffer w/30's for 3months!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dan_Rekito

Posted December 11, 2001 - 04:50 PM

YZ dude change your spark plug and your oil.
I use Yamalube 10W50 semi synthetic. ------- 2001 YZ 426 F ---1996 XR 650 L :)

• PK

Posted December 11, 2001 - 05:14 PM

I have noticed the same thing on my bike. I adjusted the pilot jet out a full turn and the bike starts and stays started instead of doing the ol' sputter and die. Since air gets denser with a cooler temp it is only logical that the bike would like a little more fuel since there is more oxygen coming in with the cooler air. Give it a twist and see what it does for ya, it helped mine.

Pat

• F-Pilot

Posted December 11, 2001 - 05:46 PM

On the thumpers it's a fuel screw not an air screw. Out is more fuel (richer) which is what you need when the temp drops. Try 1/4 turn at a time till it you get fastest idle.

• RichB

Posted December 11, 2001 - 06:07 PM

Had to back my fuel screw out 1/2 turn more myself. Make one of the cool adjustment tools Garrett shows on his site. It'll cost you about $3 and you can adjust w/o having to pull the carb out and you can EASILY see how much you really turned the screw!

Oh yeah, mine likes 1 good pump of the throttle when it's ice cold. After that, 1st kick everytime.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.