Buying a 426

9 replies to this topic
  • EliHafitz

Posted August 12, 2013 - 04:45 AM

Hey All,

I figured I would reach out to others with experience. I have been looking into getting a YZ426 and there are quite a few of them for sale for as lows as $1100 to $1600. This seems awfully cheap for these bikes, considering I can get an older 2-stroke for about 1K more. Anyone have any insight on these bikes and price? Am I looking a ticking time bomb? I am not new to bikes and know what to look for when buying a used machine, I am just unfamiliar with the new 4-strokes.

• yzdaddy

Posted August 12, 2013 - 03:46 PM

I owned a 426 when they came out. An 03 450 is better than a 426. Imo the 450s are better.

• Spartan426

Posted August 13, 2013 - 12:03 AM

The 426 is a great bike! i own a 02 Yz426. I rebuilt it from literally boxes and did a fully built the motor. ive owned it since i was 16 and am now 19. ive had no major issues or complants since i finished the build, just tons of fun!

the only things that these bikes have a bad reputation for are overheating,  hard to start, and their abit heavy cause of the steel frame and being a big bore thumper.

I have never had an issue with overheating, just dont idle the bike like you would a two stroke, since I'm in SO Cal and this summer was pretty hot, just to be on the safe side I switched to engine ice coolant and picked up a boyesen supercooler water pump kit, the bike runs very cool and still has never been close to overheating out in the mojave.

as for being hard to start, as long as you know "the starting procedure", keep your valves in spec (like any 4 stroke) and your carb is clean/jetted properly (im just useing stock jetting) mines fires first kick.

also to help ease starting look into the 03 yz450 exhaust cam mod, or pick up a "hot cams" exhaust cam. they have auto decompression and allow u to stomp on the bike like a two stroke to fire it up makes it much easier. (next mod on my list) as well as a great power increase if you get the intake and exhaust cams from them.

as for being heavy... you get used to it, also im 6" 1' and weigh around 200lbs so man handling this bike around is no problem for me. It's not super heavy, but when you compare a two stroke and this thing its totally different.

For being one of the earlier generation 4 stroke racing machines this thing is an excellant bike and I stand behind mine all the way, the powerband is unreal and rides more like a 2 stroke then a 4, pulling much harder in the higher RPMS thanks to the titanium valves.

(2002 modle only, other years had steel though im sure they still pull hard in the higher revs as well.)

hope this helps, if you have any questions lemme know :ride:

:thumbsup:

• patty426

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:18 AM

I just got a 2001 426, I like it so far it hauls ass, I couldn't figure out how to start it when I got it lol I had to learn on youtube. and i think the titanium valves came out on the 01 model if i'm not mistaken. 

I got a question for ya spartan, how do i know when it's at TDC so I can kick it, do i kick it until it locks up then decompress and push the starter down to the peg then all the way back up and it's at tdc? I still seem to screw this up sometimes.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2013 - 06:38 AM

I just got a 2001 426, I like it so far it hauls ass, I couldn't figure out how to start it when I got it lol I had to learn on youtube. and i think the titanium valves came out on the 01 model if i'm not mistaken. 

I got a question for ya spartan, how do i know when it's at TDC so I can kick it, do i kick it until it locks up then decompress and push the starter down to the peg then all the way back up and it's at tdc? I still seem to screw this up sometimes.

Watch:

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • patty426

Posted August 13, 2013 - 12:27 PM

cool thanks

• rangerclass7sx

Posted August 13, 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hey All,

I figured I would reach out to others with experience. I have been looking into getting a YZ426 and there are quite a few of them for sale for as lows as $1100 to $1600. This seems awfully cheap for these bikes, considering I can get an older 2-stroke for about 1K more. Anyone have any insight on these bikes and price? Am I looking a ticking time bomb? I am not new to bikes and know what to look for when buying a used machine, I am just unfamiliar with the new 4-strokes.

in my experience the yz426 is real reliable and built good, last time we went out prerunning in baja my friends old 426 was the only bike that survived, who would of tought... dang bike has sun burnt plastics and half of the rear fender is missing, OH and he had a bald rear tire.... i blew out my rear tire , came of the rim ripped my back fender, side plate, and chain guard... and the a cr250 ceased the engine

• EliHafitz

Posted August 14, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks alot for the info. I am definitely gonna pick up one these bikes! As for the price, 1100  - 1600 doesn't seem too cheap a running 426? Seems too good to be true!

• patty426

Posted August 15, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I paid 2600 but i live in alberta and the bike looks like it has 75ish hours on it, after watching that video now I can start my bike with 1 kick when its cold.

• rogo1

Posted August 24, 2013 - 05:16 AM

I bought my 2000 426 for a grand, she aint the prettiest bike cosmetically. but mechanically she's rock solid. I ride with some '07 and up 450's, and they seem to agree my 426 has more low end grunt and are about the same top end wise. as far as starting it, I roll it over until the kick stops, pull the decomp push the kick just past where it stopped then let go of the decomp lever and let the kick back up to the top and kick like you mean it. this bike kicks easy and I think the hardest part for people to figure out is that you don't hold the decomp lever at all. just use it to get the piston past tdc on the compression stoke. I don't use "the drill" unless I flood it out. she starts first kick cold, hot, whatever. I love it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.