leaded fuel residue?

9 replies to this topic
  • BRYNO426

Posted December 11, 2001 - 03:44 PM

whats up guys? i want to see if any of you have experienced a residue in the exhaust when using leaded fuel i am currently running VP MR2 fuel the scoot runs really crisp but i notice a greyish residue in the exhaust any ideas?

• yzernie

Posted December 11, 2001 - 04:47 PM

What you are seeing is probably a slight carbon buildup which is normal. The reason it is gray is because of the lead in the race fuel. Unless the biuld up is really bad, no worries!!

Ernie

• Psycho426

Posted December 11, 2001 - 08:23 PM

I haven’t tried normal 93 leaded in my bike, I’ve been using unleaded ever since I got the bike.

Will the bike run better on leaded (normal not race gas)?
If so will I have to change my jetting if I want to try it?

• jaybird67k

Posted December 12, 2001 - 02:35 AM

The grey build up is lead deposits, no big deal, just change your plug more often because it builds up on the plug really bad.
I just rebuilt mine after a year of running leaded race and was curious to see if the piston or combustion chamber had alot of build up, but it did not.

Later, Jason

• yzernie

Posted December 12, 2001 - 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Psycho426:
I haven’t tried normal 93 leaded in my bike

Psycho,

You have 93 octane leaded??? I am jealous!! Leaded fuel is a good thing. The lead helps to lubricate/buffer the valve train. If the leaded gas is the same octane as the unleaded you are using you should not have to re-jet.

Ernie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Psycho426

Posted December 12, 2001 - 08:26 PM

Ernie - Yep, we are lucky aren't we(we don't have such strict pollution laws yet). We even have a fuel that is called 'Dual Fuel'(also 93), I'm not sure how it works but it's guaranteed for use in <font color="Navy">both leaded and unleaded petrol engines, neat isn't it :)

Thanx, I'll give the leaded a shot the weekendPosted Image

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Psycho426 ]

• Boit

Posted December 13, 2001 - 02:03 AM

I've also been using MR2 fuel with the slighty ashy grey residue. The throttle response with this fuel and proper jetting is phenomenal. C-12 worked well also but doesn't give the revability that MR2 does. At least that was my experience.

• yzernie

Posted December 13, 2001 - 03:57 AM

Originally posted by Boit:
I've also been using MR2 fuel

Boit,
What are they getting for a gallon of MR2 in La??? I can't find it for less than $9.00 a gallon here in So. Cal. :)

Ernie

• Boit

Posted December 14, 2001 - 12:49 PM

Ernie: $8 per gallon for MR2 in 5 gallon sealed pails. The pail makes a dandy pump gas container for the lawn mower once I've used the fuel up.

• BRYNO426

Posted December 14, 2001 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for the input i just needed to easy my mind. and kudos to BK I did the mod a few nights ago and OH MY GOD!that has to be the best $.75 cents I have ever spent. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.