Upside down forks on xr650r, worth it?

6 replies to this topic
  • Bmframe

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Is it really worth the effort to put different shocks on the front of these? other than just the forks what else is involved with switching them over?

• xios82100

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

you have to replace the triple tree clamp you might need new brake line ,, brake caliper for sure. I put up side down forks on my xr600 from cr250 and they were kinda longer and the bike looked like chopper.

• MindBlower

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:23 AM

Not on an R.  

GOOD conventional is as good as USD and the R has good conventional.  Springs and tuning.  ;)

Every other XR? Yes

• XRandWRRider

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

I thought it was worth it, and several other's here have too.  It doesn't necessarily require a new caliper or brake line, and can be done with a variety of triple clamps / fork tubes.  The 46mm Kayaba USD forks from the earlier CR's are basically an inverted version of the stock fork and while it may flex less, probably isn't worth the work involved.  In my opinion, if you're going to do it, it is worth an upgrade to the 47mm Showa twin chamber forks, or similar... It will require a bit of research, but the threads are here, just do a search.

• shagger

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

When Honda was racing Baja with the XR they went to USD forks and then went back to conventional forks because the frame worked better with them at high speed off road. 

That said. I use USD forks on my supermoto setup. It depends on what you are going to use the bike for.

• XRandWRRider

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

When Honda was racing Baja with the XR they went to USD forks and then went back to conventional forks because the frame worked better with them at high speed off road. 

That said. I use USD forks on my supermoto setup. It depends on what you are going to use the bike for.

True...  it all depends what you want.

USD's will flex less and give more precise handling, and are probably better for slower / tighter single track and/or woods riding.

Conventionals will flex and forgive more, and are probably better for the wide open 100 mph blasts through the desert.

Although I enjoy both open desert and tight woods/single track/washes when I ride off-road, I don't race Baja, and truth be told, I should probably pick a lighter bike for the majority of the type of off-road riding that I do.  However, I am a fairly big guy at 6'2" 240 lbs. and I am addicted to the Torque or the big XR's... (Plus, they are already paid for!)  I feel that the USD's help me on both my Dual Sported XRR, and my Supermoto'd XRR. 

• motion

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

Open chamber forks are better suited to trail, rock, and enduro type of riding as they will move with more freedom. Newer closed chamber forks that are on the MX bikes are better suited for the track, jumping, supercross etc. as they will not move through the stroke as readily but are well suited for hard hits such as shorting the double.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

1987 XR600R kickstart troubles by MeRock

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650R ONLY by jska2636

• Hot  72 replies
Forums
Photo

Funny story out of my FCR tuning saga! by bradrup

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

hi from the Netherlands by okay73

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

&%$#@!ing XR650R manual ... by carlgustav

• 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.