2001 YZ426 Rekluse Clutch Problems

3 replies to this topic
  • G-BRO

Posted August 10, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Installed a new Z Start Pro on my YZ 426 a few rides back. The installation gap is a little too tight (I installed all new stock friction plates when I put the clutch assembly together because it was overdue). I was hoping that the plates would wear a little quicker than they have, but so far that is not the case. So now the bike is hard to put in neutral when  running and tends to creep when the clutch is let out. Rekluse apparently makes a thinner drive plate to help compensate for this, but I remember somebody saying that you could swap the stock YZ plates for another model bike and it would have the same results for cheaper. Does this sound familiar to anybody? Anybody have suggestions? 

• grayracer513

Posted August 10, 2013 - 09:37 PM

The OEM plate set for an '09 YFZ450 Quad works extremely well, but it's not really less expensive at all.  My solution to the tighter than spec'd gap was to use two of the thinner adjusting plates from Rekluse.  If you got your kit new, you should have one of these in the set.  Seems to me they're about .045" as opposed to the standard .065", or close to that. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • G-BRO

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:12 PM

Gray, 

In my Rekluse kit I received their standard plates and one .065 plate. The .065 plate was the only one that I did not end up using (the largest plate they provided) and the gap is still too tight. Is there something during the install that I may have done incorrectly to have caused this? I was hoping that after a few rides the friction plates would wear down enough to bring the gap to specs by so far that is not the case. 

Hope that makes sense 

• Gunner354

Posted August 12, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Gray,

In my Rekluse kit I received their standard plates and one .065 plate. The .065 plate was the only one that I did not end up using (the largest plate they provided) and the gap is still too tight. Is there something during the install that I may have done incorrectly to have caused this? I was hoping that after a few rides the friction plates would wear down enough to bring the gap to specs by so far that is not the case.

Hope that makes sense

You will lose about .009 with new plates due to compacting in a short period of riding. Don't expect anything more than that from just normal riding. Plates loose very little with normal use. How tight is your gap? Anything less than about .027 and you will experience dragging. If you are within specs then I would check your basket for any grooving. Had this happen to a friends and after changing the grooved basket and using Redline 10-40 oil it worked perfect. If you use Redline then I suggest you set it up on the loose end of the spec. The plates will swell very slightly over time and your gap will get tighter.

Edited by Gunner354, August 12, 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.