Spring Rate, Round up or Down

9 replies to this topic
  • Road Rage

Posted August 10, 2013 - 05:56 AM

My 2007 WR450 is currently running stock suspension, I run anywhere from 210-220 lbs. My front end is feeling heavy and after watching some video of me riding I realize that  1. I'm too heavy for stock suspension(duh!!) and 2. I guess these springs get tired after a few years so repring time...I go to the Race Tech calculator and enter my particulars and it produces the following numbers front spring rate  .489Kg and Rear rate of 5.9Kg so should I round up or down based on these numbers...is there a rule of thumb for this situation?? 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 10, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Up! All the springs do is keep the bike suspended on top of the wheels.

Edited by Krannie, August 10, 2013 - 12:48 PM.

• JDLowrance

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yup...round up!

You need 6.0 rear and 0.5 up front

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 10, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Now then. Wheres the cheapest place to get springs before I make an order from racetech

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 10, 2013 - 05:57 PM

http://www.diverse-mfg.com/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123devinzz1

Posted August 10, 2013 - 07:16 PM

thanks.

sorry racetech!

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 12, 2013 - 02:52 PM

found a cheaper place! http://www.oemcycle.com/

• tcmII

Posted August 12, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Make sure you consider your geared up weight.  Every lift you gear bag boots and all, mines heavy!!  I Estimate my gear, fanny pack and camel pack add 20 -25 lbs.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 12, 2013 - 06:10 PM

Make sure you consider your geared up weight.  Every lift you gear bag boots and all, mines heavy!!  I Estimate my gear, fanny pack and camel pack add 20 -25 lbs.

My set up is much closer to 50lbs........

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Online spring rate generators typically follow either of two patterns.  Some ask for your geared up weight, but the fact is that most people have no idea what that is and don't bother to find out with any accuracy, so they guess.  Others such as Race Tech ask for your weight in street clothes, then THEY guess what your gear weighs, most of them pegging it at 20-25 pounds. 

In most cases by far, rounding up will get you better results when you need heavier springs.  Bear in mind that if your bike was only one rate step off, either too soft or too stiff, you probably wouldn't bother respringing, anyway.  A half step either direction from the calculated ideal, which, remember, is only a guess, won't matter that much.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.