XR650L top speed and peak HP

12 replies to this topic
  • RaptorFla

Posted December 20, 2003 - 11:56 PM

hello guys, I am looking at picking up a used XR650L and am wondering if you guys know stock what the top speed is and peak HP?? thanks

• slip

Posted December 21, 2003 - 07:03 AM

In stock form I would say top speed is about 90 and that it pumps out about 33/34 hp's. That's just a guess as I had mine dyno'd after doing the basic mods (jetting, needle shimmed, slide drilled, Snorkel removed, XR's Only pipe). Mine showed 38.3 hps on the dyno. :)

• big t

Posted December 21, 2003 - 07:04 AM

I think I heard HP was around 43. That's probably after uncorking if it's corked up like the 650r. Not sure on top speed. You should be able to change sprockets to get your desired top speed.

• PoorLilRich

Posted December 21, 2003 - 08:38 AM

a guy i know completely eff'd his by doing wheelies 24/7.
he sure could wheelie though

• Dutch

Posted December 21, 2003 - 08:45 AM

Peak horsepower is not what the 650L, (or the 600R), is about - it's about the power band and how it adapts to your riding environment. The character of these motors is all about large amounts of torque down low in revs. This makes riding a 300+ lb. bike through nasty complicated woods possible. The fact that it may make 35 or 45 horsepower isn't why there are so many loyal fans of these bikes. It’s the smooth hit off the bottom that makes them smile. I think the best mod for these motors is a pumper carb that accentuates that trait.

• motometal

Posted December 21, 2003 - 11:21 AM

Rich, tell us more about the problem your friend had with doing wheelies.??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted December 21, 2003 - 03:37 PM

I wonder how much HP mine makes with the mods i have done never had it dyno'ed any ideas??? :)

• slip

Posted December 21, 2003 - 04:00 PM

I'll let you know come spring. A local dealer has dyno runs every friday night. I haven't had mine done since I put the WB E-Series pipe on. And I also have taken off the smog stuff since too, although others say that doesn't affect the power. :)

• smashinz2002

Posted December 21, 2003 - 09:30 PM

Hey man. This type of engine is designed primarily for high torque production at low rpms. HP ratings are not much of a consideration with the big XRL and XR-R. There is a reason for this. High torque at low revs makes for a killer hit off the bottom which is extremely useful for a variety of off-road riding styles. And high torque engines are easier to handle for most people, while still providing plenty of thrill in the acceleration department. They spin slower and last longer too..

• tp3dxf

Posted December 21, 2003 - 10:16 PM

I loved my 95XR600. It would chug up just about anything. I swear I could almost count the RPM's at times. It was a very hard machine to stall. Peak HP is not what BRP's are all about. Yes they will make good HP but big XR's are all about torque! And Torque is a beauitful thing.

• ksrider

Posted February 19, 2004 - 10:27 AM

I have a 2003 XR 650L that is completely stock and I have had it up to 95mph with some throttle to spare. I would guess that it would do just a little over a 100mph.

• TZAR

Posted February 20, 2004 - 03:26 PM

I have a full blown '04 XR650L Motard (un-corked etc...), and I hit 118mph on the back straights... And yes I have a properly calibrated aftermarket speedo...

• slip

Posted February 21, 2004 - 04:09 AM

I have a full blown '04 XR650L Motard (un-corked etc...), and I hit 118mph on the back straights... And yes I have a properly calibrated aftermarket speedo...

Holy [@#$%&*!]! :) :D I only got mine dialed in at the end of the season, so I could not test the top end.

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  40 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.