De-octopussed????

4 replies to this topic
  • boxsterboy

Posted April 27, 2001 - 10:10 AM

can someone explain this. I've seen it on some of you mods.

• Pete_Z

Posted April 27, 2001 - 10:15 AM

Check the technical section for info on this mod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted April 27, 2001 - 12:48 PM

What are the real benefits other than a cleaner look? I've never had any problems with my carb to date (99 dub-r).

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 27, 2001 - 01:28 PM

In the unfortunate circumstance that you disconnect a vacuum line while riding (i.e. Clark Mason), you WILL suck whatever you are riding in (i.e. worst case - water) into your carb/cylinder.

To me, it is very cheap insurance to ensure this won't happen to me. After removing the air cut valve (octopus) I have NEVER LOOKED BACK. I own a '99WR.

------------------
'99 WZ with all YZ mods, de-octopused, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean and Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

• Clark_Mason

Posted April 27, 2001 - 01:47 PM

It gets rid of a bunch of vacuume hoses that are vulnerable. After I had knocked off one of them, looking into the YZ carb and the WR carb I went with the YZ low rpm jetting and removed the Air cut valve (eg Octopus). Some Forum members removed theirs and felt that it did not run as well. After jetting I could not tell any difference and eliminated one more possible trouble spot. This only applies to the 98-99 WR's and its a personal decision.

Clark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.