shopping, what do you think about this one?

15 replies to this topic
  • mrjata

Posted August 06, 2013 - 08:20 PM

This is a quote from the advertisiment:

"I have an 08 yz 450 dirtbike for sale. It has all sorts of new parts on it. Has brand new plastics just had a new water pump put in it. The bike runs just needs too have the valves adjusted its backfiring bad and makes it hard to ride. Its just needs the valves adjusted a back brake line, and a clutch cable. I'm asking 2300"

What might be causing the back firing?  First thing I though of was timing unless it is coming back through the carb, then valve timing???  I am leaning toward a project, here.

Thanks for all the great info I get here!!

Edited by mrjata, August 06, 2013 - 08:21 PM.

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 07, 2013 - 05:02 AM

This is a quote from the advertisiment:

"I have an 08 yz 450 dirtbike for sale. It has all sorts of new parts on it. Has brand new plastics just had a new water pump put in it. The bike runs just needs too have the valves adjusted its backfiring bad and makes it hard to ride. Its just needs the valves adjusted a back brake line, and a clutch cable. I'm asking 2300"

What might be causing the back firing?  First thing I though of was timing unless it is coming back through the carb, then valve timing???  I am leaning toward a project, here.

Thanks for all the great info I get here!!

is there a pic of the bike with the ad? Hopefully if the valve timing was off then the piston isnt coming in contact with them. There seems to be a common problem with the cam chain wearing out causing it to jump teeth on the cam sprocket, hasnt happened to mine but my buddies 07 did. If he hasnt checked it out it may be a carb issue or electrical (theres a thread on here where a bike was backfiring and it turned out the connection on the coil was corroded.)

• mrjata

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I was leaning toward the valve timing.  Having dealt with a lot of small blocks, if the valve timing is off, it will spit back through the headers or the intake.  Helps to trace the cause.  Here too, if the timing is off, it will spit back too.

If it did drop a valve, Oh, boy....thanks for confirming what I thought.  Trying to get the child to send me some pictures now.  he "don't do emails".  there is always another bike.

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:40 AM

I was leaning toward the valve timing.  Having dealt with a lot of small blocks, if the valve timing is off, it will spit back through the headers or the intake.  Helps to trace the cause.  Here too, if the timing is off, it will spit back too.

If it did drop a valve, Oh, boy....thanks for confirming what I thought.  Trying to get the child to send me some pictures now.  he "don't do emails".  there is always another bike.

seems odd. I dont think valve clearances would be the core of the issue but to not email you pictures of the bike???

• grayracer513

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:40 AM

The backfiring is more likely a dirty carb, but without seeing it, it's hard to say. 

Curious as to why it needs a rear brake line.  Might check it over for signs that it threw a chain once, like damage around the front sprocket area.

Don't buy a rat.  There's lots of clean ones available.

• YHGEORGE

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:52 AM

I always look at the seller as much as I do the bike. It tells you a lot about how the bike was maintained and the condition it may be in. I would pass on that bike.

• mrjata

Posted August 07, 2013 - 10:28 AM

The backfiring is more likely a dirty carb, but without seeing it, it's hard to say. 

Curious as to why it needs a rear brake line.  Might check it over for signs that it threw a chain once, like damage around the front sprocket area.

Don't buy a rat.  There's lots of clean ones available.

Ya I wondered about that brake line too.  Not a big fix for sure, but why do I need to??  

Sure, the backfiring could be a lean out situation too.  Just need to hear/ride it to see/hear where it is.

Edited by mrjata, August 07, 2013 - 10:29 AM.

• nucular

Posted August 07, 2013 - 11:21 AM

I just paid 2500 for an 08 in mint condition. I wouldn't settle for one with issues for 2300.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ekulb14

Posted August 07, 2013 - 12:20 PM

yeh there is at least 700 bucks of unknowns on that. we just sold a trick 08 for 2900 save up a lil more and get a nice bike to start with. it saves a lot frustration.

• mrjata

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:33 PM

I understand what you all are saying.  Oh, I don't plan to pay his asking price at all.  I might smell like turnips but I didn't fall off the truck yesterday.  He wants to trade some stuff.  The $$ equivelent would be about $1200-$1500 if it works out.

Hit me this afternoon, thinking on the tractor(what else can you do?)  The backfiring could be as simple as a sheared keyway on the flywheel.  

I do appreciate all the input.  The 450f around here are kinda scarce and more expensive.  go 200 miles in any direction and they get cheaper...still looking, thanks all!

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:18 AM

I understand what you all are saying. Oh, I don't plan to pay his asking price at all. I might smell like turnips but I didn't fall off the truck yesterday. He wants to trade some stuff. The $$ equivelent would be about $1200-$1500 if it works out.

Hit me this afternoon, thinking on the tractor(what else can you do?) The backfiring could be as simple as a sheared keyway on the flywheel.

I do appreciate all the input. The 450f around here are kinda scarce and more expensive. go 200 miles in any direction and they get cheaper...still looking, thanks all!

Im not sure where you are but ive seen older rolling chassis go for more than that here. So if i was you...here... I would buy without a doubt. If this guy is as un mechanically inclined as i think he is he could have the carb all rigged and its just a matter of taking your time to work it out. A video of the bike running and riding??? That would be helpful indeed.

• avocasingletrack

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:33 AM

Ya

• mrjata

Posted August 09, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Well, guess that fell through.  Was going o partially trade a 1911 .45 for this bike till I told him that I wouldn't trade a hand gun unless he was 21 and could prove it.  Oh, well, back to looking.  Wasn't for me anyway I guess.  Must be a better one out there.

• Doug the head

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Well, guess that fell through. Was going o partially trade a 1911 .45 for this bike till I told him that I wouldn't trade a hand gun unless he was 21 and could prove it. Oh, well, back to looking. Wasn't for me anyway I guess. Must be a better one out there.

where are you located

• mrjata

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:10 PM

where are you located

NW Missouri, up by the Iowa line.

• mrjata

Posted August 09, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Boy if I could workout a possible trade somewhere for this 3,000 (6'x16') fuel tank for a bike, i would be Happy, Happy, Happy

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.