Grease your steering and swingarm berings

6 replies to this topic
  • mxracer553

Posted December 10, 2001 - 05:55 PM

I recently sent mt suspension in and I found my swingarm berings to be completely dry no grease at all. I also pulled my steering stem apart and found those rusting. I dont think they know what grease is at the factory.

• motoman393

Posted December 10, 2001 - 06:09 PM

Mine was also dry with a wax like substance (they come like this from the factory)! Why you are greasing your swingarm go ahead and fix your swingarm or you will end up with a hole in it! CLICK HERE to see what I am talking about! Later,

Garrett

• DaveJ

Posted December 11, 2001 - 08:35 AM

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: DaveJ ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DaveJ

Posted December 11, 2001 - 08:37 AM

I think the manual implies that these areas should get serviced a lot more than most of do.

Typical race bike operation.

I also wanted to add that I have noticed that the engine will shift positions in the frame, causing the swing arm pivot to lose alignment.

It's not much, but if you find that the bolt does not slide in by hand, or via very light tap, then you may want to loosen the engine.

The conclusion will be longer lasting bearings and a swing arm that moves just a tad easier.

Sometimes the fine details can really add up.

DaveJ

• Glen_T

Posted December 11, 2001 - 10:54 PM

Before I bought my 00/426 I read an article in DirtRider that said Yamaha was very stingy with their grease and to grease the linkage and headset bearings even before you ride the bike. I pulled the whole thing apart and greased everything before I even took it down the road. Keeping these parts serviced saves a lot of $$$$.

GLEN

• yzernie

Posted December 11, 2001 - 12:28 PM

I think Yamaha (as well as the other manufacturers) use their grease budget to buy the engineers donuts!!!

Ernie

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 11, 2001 - 04:19 PM

Hey Motoman 393--that's MY swingarm on your website!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.