Got the carb off. Now what?

5 replies to this topic
  • beairmo

Posted August 06, 2013 - 05:21 AM

First, I have searched the forum and done a ton of research on this subject before posting. I didn't find specifically what I am looking for so thanks in advance for the advice.

My 2009 WR450F has the following setup

Year: 2009
Model (450):
Cam Timing (WR/YZ): Don't know
Main jet: 165
Piloticon1.png Jet: 48
PAJ: 105
Leak Jet: 55
Starter Jet: 72
Fuel screw (turns out): ?
Needle Model/Clip position: 5th clip up from the bottom
Grey Wire Mod (Y/N): Yes
TPS Connected (Y/N): Yes
Airbox Snorkel/Lid (on or off): OFF
AIS Removed (Y/N): Yes
Airfilter Brand: Twin Air
Exhausticon1.png Brand: FMF 4.1 with powerbomb header
Average Altitude: 800-1000'
Average Temperature: 60-90F
Average Humidity: 70-80

The symptoms I am trying to correct is the steady RPM stutter and backfire-popping on decel (real bad)

The bike starts good off button and idles fine. I had Yamaha dealer check exhaust with analyzer and they said it passes.

I have tried disconnecting the TPS and although it does make it run smoother, it still stutters pretty bad. Since I DS the bike I really need it to run smooth on pavement. I even replaced the TPS earlier this year and had no effect.

i have taken the bowl off and cleaned all the jets and every little hole I could find with carb cleaner. 

I checked the exhaust front to back, put in fresh gasket, and verified no leaks. Re-packed the muffler.

Before I put the carb back on, I would greatly appreciate any advice as to what I can do to make it run better.

Again, thanks in advance!!!

• Thommo_400f

Posted August 08, 2013 - 02:55 AM

2 issues:
Popping on decel is probably lean on pilot jet. Try a 50 or 52. Or initially wind out fuel screw a bit.

Stutter when cruising is usually slightly rich on the needle as it is only just lifting up when cruising.
I would try a leaner needle on the straight diameter with the clip down 1 or 2 notches. but maintain same taper etc. it allows you to lean it at low throttle without putting it too far down into the main jet hole.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Leaking/cracked hot start nut

Sticky hot start plunger

Leaking ACV cover.

Missing / worn oring on fuel screw

NEVER EVER USE CARB CLEANER ON A MC CARB

You will melt the internals!

Use only spray brake cleaner and compressed air.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beairmo

Posted August 15, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Leaking/cracked hot start nut

Sticky hot start plunger

Leaking ACV cover.

Missing / worn oring on fuel screw

NEVER EVER USE CARB CLEANER ON A MC CARB

You will melt the internals!

Use only spray brake cleaner and compressed air.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I really appreciate it. Looks like the fuel screw o-ring was missing. If it is stuck in the carb I can't see it or feel it with dental pick.

After researching and examining the carb over the last two weeks I have found a number of potential issues. missing spring on diaphragm. Needle valve was sticking. I ended up ordering all new gaskets and o-rings and anything rubber. Hopefully when I get it all back together it runs like the beast it wants to be! Great learning experience about carbs...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 15, 2013 - 12:13 PM

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

• stevethe

Posted August 15, 2013 - 02:01 PM

If all else carb fixes don't fix the stutter try installing a dynatec ignition.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.