Rear disc brake turned black

3 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'm an idiot. I was following my wife tonight on some fairly steep long trails. Anyways, she was going too slow, so I was pulling in the clutch and braking. So I decided to cut the engine put it in natural and work the front and rear on the way down.

I obviously worked the rear too much because they stopped working and turned the disc black.

As I let them cool off the rear brakes did come back, we just got home at dark. I don't think they are as good as before.

What are my options? New disc? New pads? Can you do something to get the disc working again without getting new parts?

Thanks for the help.

• Kawasucky

Posted August 05, 2013 - 07:57 PM

Maybe next time use more front brake when going down hills. People are scared to endo but if you sit at the back you shouldn't. Also if you use too much back brake you will skid.
And maybe just try new pads

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • condershire

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:02 PM

The disc has likely suffered some serious integrity issues due to overheating. As I recall from high school metal shop, if it slowly cooled, then it is probably "softer" than when it came from the factory...

I'm no expert, but this is one area I would NOT compromise on. Go buy a new disc, new pads, inspect the caliper (I would even SERIOUSLY consider overhauling that, $20.00 for a kit, no brainer for sure), replace the brake fluid and bleed the system.

Might set you back a little, but a much better choice than a serious accident...

• RMK800

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Maybe next time use more front brake when going down hills. People are scared to endo but if you sit at the back you shouldn't. Also if you use too much back brake you will skid.
And maybe just try new pads

I do hear what your saying about more front brake... But I had an experience last year that made me think that I should have a little more braking with front and rear... I was coming down a trail last year.. And coming around a corner and side by side was in my lane.... I hit the front brakes hard...bike washed out and I went down and handle bars went into the ground and thus a broken left wrist. I try to do 60 front and 40 back...and obviously use the engine as much as possible when applicable . I obviously didn't use those ratios tonight.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.