WR450 exhaust system options thread: cost, weight, noise level and power.

9 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 05, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'd like this thread to detail the various exhaust system options for WR450 owners.  

I welcome/ask people to post up what system they are using, how much it cost, how much weight it saved over stock, how noisy it is and how much of a power increase they saw.  

When I say "system" I am speaking of header and silencer, but I invite people to post individually about headers and silencers as well.

I have a few questions to get the thread rolling. 

1) How much does a stock 2012+ WR450 exhaust system weigh ? 

2) What years of stock YZ450 exhaust systems will fit each generation of WR450 ?  How loud are they, how much power increase will one see ?  What year of YZ exhaust would be the best on a 2012+ ?

3) How much power is robbed in the header of a 2012 WR versus the silencer ?   Does it pay to replace the silencer only ?  If you were going to replace only one, which one would it be ?

4) What exhaust system gives the most bang for the buck ?

Thanks

• 123devinzz1

Posted August 05, 2013 - 03:52 PM

I have a gytr 4.1 and a procircuit ti-4 header. cost Almost $600 together. ALOT more mid and top end power was gained. Without any quiet cores the pipe is very loud for todays standards. Not sure on exact weights but it was quite alot less than stock. On the 2012 I would recommend just getting a slip-on cause they come with decent headers stock. I think the best bang for buck would be a lexx or big gun eco but I can personally recommend the fmf or gytr branded stainless powercore 4's which are about $80 more but worth it imo. If you were to get a stock yz exhaust i would stay away from the 08-09 models with the "shorty" style mufflers.

• Dirty_Dave

Posted August 05, 2013 - 04:17 PM

I really like the FMF Q4. It is lighter than stock and quiet. I bought the GYTR 4.1 with my '12 WR450F but thought it too noisy for my taste. Unfortunately before I could sell it I looped the bike and totally crushed it. Q4 is the way to go.

• vlxjim

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I run the FMF Q4 HEX. Nice pipe good sound not to loud. The Q4 HEX did replace the Q4. And in comes stock with the quite core and SA. Only about 4lbs lighter. Great power with the right map. Hits to hard with the FMF map or the #9 map in the tight stuff. I run the FMF map with less timing and a little more fuel.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:36 AM

I run the FMF Q4 HEX. Nice pipe good sound not to loud. The Q4 HEX did replace the Q4. And in comes stock with the quite core and SA. Only about 4lbs lighter. Great power with the right map. Hits to hard with the FMF map or the #9 map in the tight stuff. I run the FMF map with less timing and a little more fuel.

4 pounds lighter !  Are you sure ?  This page says it weighs 6.0 pounds.   Does the stocker weigh 10 pounds ?

Are you running the quiet core or did you gut it ?

Thanks !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:37 AM

How restrictive is the header on the '12 WR450 ?    The purpose of the resonator is to increase mid range, according to Yamaha.   Has anyone run a YZ header ?  If so, how did it work ?

Thanks

• vlxjim

Posted August 06, 2013 - 08:58 AM

My bad 1-1/4lbs lighter, stock is 7-3/4 lbs.

The stock header is a good one it lowers the tone and db a little.

The FMF power bomb is a little larger in OD. The difference is the thin sleeve that the Q4's come with. You don't use the sleeve with the FMF header. This could give you a little more top end power. But you may lose some mid range.

I have not tried the YZ pipe but you would be losing mid range for sure. The resonators are known for there mid power increase.

The best bang for your buck would be a slip on with the stock header.

• bikedude987

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'll just say this:  When considering exhausts please consider where you will be riding.  Closed course/OHV park, where noise is not an issue, then no worries.  But if you will be pissing off the general public, please!  Err on the side of too quiet.  Even as a rider, when someone blasts past with a bike that will wake the dead, I think they are a dick.  Noise does not equal power!

That being said, I have a Lexx on my bike and if I had to do it again, I would go for the Q4.  The lexx is good, but the standard tip in it is under-engineered and the mounting flange cracks.  I've had this happen to two so far and have had to machine a stabilizing ring to prevent the tip from flopping around and propagating the crack.  Otherwise, it is a great piece, but I would have preferred a clamp on style mid pipe, the Lexx one 'seals' with RTV and does a shiete job...

• kawi380

Posted August 07, 2013 - 07:54 AM

08wr450f with full 09 yz450f system. $40 off ebay.

I completely disassembled the shorty can and installed a PMB end cap and run the quiet insert.  $134 IIRC.  Without the quiet insert it is way too loud.

It moved the power more mid to top instead of bottom to mid.  I like it. :ride:

• Summit

Posted August 09, 2013 - 04:33 AM

I put a gytr system on my 05, don't know about weight difference but major power gains especially in mid range. It's significantly louder,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.