wiring a hydraulic brake switch into a 1999 wr400f

2 replies to this topic
  • Trevor_Corey

Posted August 05, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi everyone, I have a hydraulic brake light switch that I replaced the rear brakes banjo bolt with and im trying to wire it into my DRC Edge2 tail light and I cannot get the brake light to dim and then light up when the rear brake is engaging. There is only one hot wire and a ground wire coming back to the stock rear fender light wich has two hot wires and a negitive. Also my DRC Edge2 tail light has the 2 hot and 1 negitive. How can I wire these up to the stock stator? Any personal experience with this and or advice would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tcmII

Posted August 06, 2013 - 06:19 PM

The original wiring is designed for the "running" light.  If I remember correctly it is one yellow and one black to the tail light.  The black is ground, the yellow is 12V AC.  The original tail light is wired for a dual filament 1157 bulb with three wires, same as your new lamp.  You will need to add a circuit for the brake lamp.  The best thing to do is create on that get 12v from before the head lamp switch to the hydraulic switch and then from the hydraulic switch to the brake light.  That way, with the motor running, you will always have a brake light no matter if the head light switch is on or off.

• thumper_calgary

Posted August 07, 2013 - 08:10 PM

The original wiring is designed for the "running" light. If I remember correctly it is one yellow and one black to the tail light. The black is ground, the yellow is 12V AC. The original tail light is wired for a dual filament 1157 bulb with three wires, same as your new lamp. You will need to add a circuit for the brake lamp. The best thing to do is create on that get 12v from before the head lamp switch to the hydraulic switch and then from the hydraulic switch to the brake light. That way, with the motor running, you will always have a brake light no matter if the head light switch is on or off.

Yeah, what he said. You don't have a circuit on the bike for that. What did you plug the banjo bolt switch into????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.