2012 engine light on? Any ideas?

11 replies to this topic
  • Bcfd113

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Team, my engine light just came on after about an hours worth of use on my 2012 wr450. I put on a supermoto setup and am currently running no speedo. It also has the tusk lighting kit on it. This thing has never seen dirt yet and has been ridden for break in... Very slowly.

Any ideas why im seeing this? Thanks in advance guys.

• B.S. Proof

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:29 AM

Maybe it's because the ECM not seeing vehicle speed since you've disconnected the speed speedo?

Checking the codes will reveal the answer.

• Bcfd113

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Sorry for the newb question, but how would i go about checking the codes?

Also, i have it on a trickle charger right now. I had a new 2001 gsxr 1000 that threw an engine light due to a low charge on the battery.

• Bcfd113

Posted August 04, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Anyone have a list of codes for the 2012 wr450? Thanks.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted August 08, 2013 - 06:01 AM

the codes are displayed on the clock/speedo that you just removed. you need to reinstall that unit and you will have your codes. likely the code will go away once it sees the speedo is connected.

• waltersobchak

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:46 PM

Speedo is off my '12, engine does not cone on. I don't think speedo is the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DuncR6

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Anyone have a list of codes for the 2012 wr450? Thanks.

There are some in the manual that should have come with your bike.

• Bcfd113

Posted August 09, 2013 - 12:58 PM

Speedo is off my '12, engine does not cone on. I don't think speedo is the problem.

Thats the thing... Mines the first iv heard of having it come on. No one else's has. Could it have to do with stock vs competition ecu?

• waltersobchak

Posted August 09, 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have the comp ecu on my '12, and speedo removed with no engine light issues. I might look towards a electrical issue with the tusk lighting kit, but I coould be totally wrong.

• Bcfd113

Posted August 10, 2013 - 02:55 AM

I have yet to install my comp ecu. Maybe thatl take care of it.

• vlxjim

Posted August 10, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Put the comp ECU in it and use the GYTR programer to get the code(s) if it throws one again. Not sure if you can use the programer to pull codes off the stock ECU and just can't change the map. And I'm sure I read someone through a code with a lighting kit on here.

Edited by vlxjim, August 10, 2013 - 07:20 AM.

• Bcfd113

Posted August 10, 2013 - 11:58 AM

First, thanks for everyones assistance.

I finally got a chance to install my comp ecu and custom tune. No more code light! Now i haven't run it much since the install, but i think theres a good chance that the comp ecu and custom tune have fixed it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.