Head Gasket, Idiot Alert!

4 replies to this topic
  • WRob

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:01 AM

06 WR450 top end job.  After meticulously following the manuals instructions for torquing the head, I realized I had forgotten to install the front timing chain guide. :banghead:  IDIOT!  Back off with the head.  Now, did I pretty much ruin my new head gasket?  I torqued it completely per the manuals instructions ( 20 ft lbs--then 180 degrees in stages...)  Give it to me straight Doc....Thanks in advance

Edited by WRob, August 04, 2013 - 01:39 PM.

• highmarker

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:32 AM

been there done that,  got lucky with the gasket, inspect it good and maybe use some spray copper on it. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • monkey jason

Posted August 04, 2013 - 09:59 AM

The old 490 2 stroke head gaskets you could put in the oven for a bit, I don't know about the 450 4 strokes.

• highmarker

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:32 AM

the 4t gaskets are usually multi layered and use a graphite type coating. If the graphite peals away stuck to the gasket surfaces it's pretty much toast on a head gasket.  On a side case, if you DONT scrape any of the material away and put it back in the same place with some goop you can usually reuse.

• JDLowrance

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Why chance it? Chock it up to experience and get a new head gasket.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.