how to wheely a wr400

6 replies to this topic
  • WR400F_Rider

Posted December 19, 2003 - 04:41 PM

Hi, I just recently got my first big dirtbike, 99 wr400, i have been tryin over and over to learn how to wheely that thing. 1st gear is way to short of a gear to try it in, 2nd gear i start to get a good one goin but then it feels like i start to fall back so i let off. 3rd same prob, 4th and 5th gear the tire wont come off the ground, i have all the free mods with pipe, filter, and jetted. any info on how to wheely this thing would be great! Thanks

• Lukejt

Posted December 19, 2003 - 05:01 PM

I'm no wheelie king, so I'm sure you're going to get some better replies, but you have to clutch it, get the revs up a little and let the clutch out. It'll come right up. I'm still learning myself. My best friend and riding buddy is real good at wheelies and he uses the clutch a lot, even to hold it up.

• Bob_o

Posted December 19, 2003 - 05:30 PM

I found the easiest way to learn is to wheelie going into 2nd gear. Riding at a steady clip in 1st (but not too fast) in 1 semi-fluid motion you gas it up a bit, clutch it, shift gears and dump the clutch. If you're not too aggressive at 1st you'll be able to control how fast the front wheel comes up with the throttle. Just give it a little more each time until you get it where you want it. The most important thing for me when I began was to learn to be real quick with the back brake. I learned this "trick" on a dr350 (pig) and could wheelie it all day. Once you get used to leaving the bike on its balance point you just shift as you go (no clutch). My yz426 will pull wheelies VERY easily by just gassing it in 2nd or 3rd and then shifting as my speed increases. By learning 1st to be quick with the back brake I have never flipped a bike over backwards on a wheelie... 4 wheelers are another story!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steveracer

Posted December 20, 2003 - 08:58 AM

it is easiest to learn on a slight uphill at slow speeds and progressing from there. like it was said in the last post , keep the rear brake in mind when it gets a little far up for your liking. but i can wheelie better on this bike better than any other DIRT bike i have had.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted December 20, 2003 - 07:02 PM

Well, in 1st, I just use that to pop the front over a log etc. Otherwise, I'll start my wheelie in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. I just twist the throttle and its up in every gear except 5th. In lose gravel, the 3rd or 4th may require a little tug on the bars or it will just spin. As for going over backwards, likely, your far from it, will feel worse than you actually are. And one good advantage to wheeling the big thumpers is its ability to set back down by just rolling off the throttle. These have lots of engine braking. If it was a 2 smoke, you'd always want your right toe near the rear brake lever to set it down if it felt like you were going over. This rear brake is tought to learn, going over happens so fast sometime. I'd stay away from the higher geared wheelies for now, play around in 2nd and 3rd. Then work on balance and tapping the brake to set it down. If you get good at that, you've got it made. With all the low end grunt and engine braking, these are a snap to wheelie. I have a WR426 with all the YZ mods and dont have to "flash" the clutch, in fact, I have never like the flashing the clutch method.

• dirtythumper

Posted December 26, 2003 - 03:48 AM

I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in. I never use the clutch when I wheelie. I always start in 2nd gear. It's a very good idea to keep your foot on the brake just in case. Tapping the rear brake can be scary if you've never done it before. If you are serious about honing your wheelie skills, then buy a Honda 50. I know that sounds funny but I'm dead serious. It takes a lot of skill to balance a z50 in first gear without touching the ground. There's no gyro effect so you will have to learn side to side balance as well as throttle controll. That means steering the bike with your body. This is also the best way to learn brake pedal controll. Using the rear brake, I can actually ride wheelies down hill for miles by tilting back past the pivot point and riding the rear brake while still on the gas. At this point you are controlling the wheelie more with the brake than you are with the throttle. On a Honda 50, second gear is the easiest gear to wheelie. First gear is harder to keep side to side balance. Third gear is the most difficult because of lack of power and you have to keep it right on the pivot point.

The z50 has an automatic clutch so you can focus more on your balance. Once you have mastered the 50 you will be surprised how well you can wheelie a big bike. You will dazzle your friends with wheelies @60mph+. But lets face it, all you really need is an excuse to buy a minibike. :)

• SBG

Posted December 26, 2003 - 10:24 PM

My answer is here , along with LBZYZ426's good advice also.

Posted Image

I like this photo cause it shows both types of wheelies. I'm on the left in 3rd gear doing a balanced wheelie, and I believe my wheelie partner Foursmoke was in 2nd doing a power wheelie on his 450. One thing to know is that it's easier to go from a power wheelie to a balance wheelie with a bigger bike. Even if you mess it up, another stab at the throttle can get you at the balance point. I've seen Smoke do it plenty of times when he was first learning. If you aren't at the balance point you end up revving out and doing a power wheelie. The reason I recommend 2nd and 3rd is because you can still go slow enough to bring the front end up, but just a bit more speed than 1st gear wheelies provides a bit more gyroscopic action which makes it easier for you to go straight. I probably pulled this wheelie at about 10-15 mph, and was looking at the camera guy "Whatevva", and had to correct with the wheel to make sure I wouldn't run over him or slide into Smoke.
I've actually been able to bring the front end of my WR in 4th between 30-40 mph and was doing a highspeed balance wheelie. I actually was passing my buds and I think my speed was about 50-55 when I brought it down. Make sure you cover the rear brake. If you look close enough to my feet, you can see I'm not practicing what I preach, however, I usually realize it after I get the front end up.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.