Thumb throttle please!

12 replies to this topic
  • Spyder328

Posted July 29, 2013 - 02:50 PM

I just sold my 06' Yamaha Blaster to get my CR a few weeks ago lol I would say that you could just swap one over, but I'm not sure what thumb throttle you would need

• Crazykirby1225

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:01 PM

I just don't know if the linkage is the same ...

• Crazykirby1225

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:35 PM

Hey guys, before you judge me hear me out lol,
I've broken my wrist way too many times(throttle hand) and its starting to get really uncomfortable to ride. I just picked up my 2013 yz450 about 3 weeks ago. I saw a guy at the track with a thumb throttle on his kx450 but he wouldn't give me a straight answer on where he got it and how he did it. I was wondering if I could just take the throttle assembly off an 06-2013 yfz450 or raptor 700 and just bolt it on to my yz450????

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Here's some pics
http://www.bing.com/... bike&FORM=IGRE

Here's a site that may help.
http://www.motosport...THUMB-THROTTLES

You may want to check with Motion Pro, Moose Racing and Sunline as well.

• Spyder328

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm pretty sure it is the same, I have only opened up the throttle on the Blaster I had once or twice but I think it is the same from what I remember.

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:25 PM

Here's an article where someone installed and a combo twist and thumb throttle. Looks like you push a pin to go from twist to thumb. http://www.atvriders...-Throttle-Combo!

Not sure if someone makes an actuall kit. You will likely have to do some type of fabricating / engineering. If you're not real handy with that, I would have someone that understands what they're doing, do it for you. An ill fitted throttle adaption job could get be dangerous.

I'm not sure on the fuel injected 450's, but the carbureted 450's had dual cables. One to open the carb slide, and the other cable to pull it shut if needed. I've seen some guys take the return cable off of their 450 for a lighter throttle feel. From what I understood, there was the risk of the slide sticking in the open postion at high rpm (high manifold vacuum), and with the return cable absent, you couldn't twist the throttle shut if needed. But fuel injected bikes have a throttle body with a throttle plate. Don't know if they have 1 or 2 cables.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NEKOOHC

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:48 PM

I've broken my wrist way too many times(throttle hand) and its starting to get really uncomfortable to ride. I just picked up my 2013 yz450 about 3 weeks ago. I saw a guy at the track with a thumb throttle on his kx450 but he wouldn't give me a straight answer on where he got it and how he did it. I was wondering if I could just take the throttle assembly off an 06-2013 yfz450 or raptor 700 and just bolt it on to my yz450????

I did have you judged before I started reading

Now I've read your post .. I fully understand :thumbsup:

• 123devinzz1

Posted July 29, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Should work. Your gona loose the 2 cable setup so you may want to plug the hole in the throttle body where it goes. Im not sure but a yfz450r/x may be needed

• Crazykirby1225

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Fuel injected bikes indeed have 2 cables. Thanks for the replies!!! Much appreciated.

• Crazykirby1225

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Do you guys really think that dual gasser will work for a bike even though its made for a quad???

• gimped up

Posted July 30, 2013 - 12:51 AM

I've always went the other way...
I replaced all our quads thumb throttles with twist. Motion pro is what I would use if available,
If you're out and break something they are easy to find at shops.. just a recommendation.

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted July 30, 2013 - 03:20 AM

Do you guys really think that dual gasser will work for a bike even though its made for a quad???

The duel gasser unit won't know if it's on a quad or a bike. What will need addressing is your current cable, and how it attaches to, and inside the gasser unit. How much cable sticks out of your cable housing is critical. You may have to purchase a "universal cable" that has a threaded adjuster along its run, so you can adjust how much cable is protruding. This is going to take a little leg work and possible fabricating. I can tell you from experience, if you want to be or do something different, get ready to be and do something different.

• FinchFan194

Posted July 30, 2013 - 06:14 AM

Flexx Bars

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.