Primary ignition coil problem 2006 YZ450F

1 reply to this topic
  • PepeTheBass

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:41 PM

After gapping valves, bike would start but die when I opened the throttle even a little bit. Now it won't even think about starting at all. Kill switch, neutral indicator, throttle position indicator all work or test within spec. Replaced plug... tried starter fluid... not even a burp.

BUT... primary ignition coil tested at 1.0 to 0.9 ohms instead of 0.08 to 0.1 spec in manual. Not sure how the coil works so I don't know if this could be the reason for the problem. I've read that the coils almost never fail. Secondary coil was fine.

Any thoughts? Hate to buy another coil only to find out that I still have a problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PepeTheBass

Posted July 29, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Forgot to mention, stator ohms are within spec on all three pairs.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.