2012 WR450F Modify Shock to Shrader Valve?

4 replies to this topic
  • mch

Posted July 29, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I just pulled my shock for the 1st time and just noticed the shock uses a needle valve to recharge the shock with nitrogen. I was presed for time, so I had my GF's son take the shock to a local shop for service (I would have done it myself if it was a shrader type valve), So I really have no idea what's inside it. I'm assuming a standard bladder, and I'm assuming there are other motorcycles that use the same housing, but with a cap that has the shrader valve.

That being said, anyone have any ideas to convert it to the shrader valve type for future services? Anyone see any cons to doing this? Seems like there is more than ample room for the valvle to fit. If I want to just do a standard nitrogen recharge, it looks like it would be pretty straight forward with the shrader valve being a lot more accessible than the needle valve.

• JDLowrance

Posted July 29, 2013 - 11:16 AM

I just pulled my shock for the 1st time and just noticed the shock uses a needle valve to recharge the shock with nitrogen. I was presed for time, so I had my GF's son take the shock to a local shop for service (I would have done it myself if it was a shrader type valve), So I really have no idea what's inside it. I'm assuming a standard bladder, and I'm assuming there are other motorcycles that use the same housing, but with a cap that has the shrader valve.

That being said, anyone have any ideas to convert it to the shrader valve type for future services? Anyone see any cons to doing this? Seems like there is more than ample room for the valvle to fit. If I want to just do a standard nitrogen recharge, it looks like it would be pretty straight forward with the shrader valve being a lot more accessible than the needle valve.

Most aftermarket suspension shops install schraders when they tune your suspension. The resivoir cap has to be removed to drill and tap to facilitate the schrader valve.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted July 31, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Its just a self sealing rubber bung in the centre of the cap, with a normal bladder

As said above, the cap needs drilling and tapping to accept a schrader valve.
Its not that different to what you are used to

with no nitrogen in the bladder, you can push the rubber bung out if your charge needle is blunt
Motion pro do a needle for about $21 if you dont want to mod your shock

http://www.motionpro...partno/08-0075/

• WR 911

Posted July 31, 2013 - 03:05 PM

The 2012 shock specs are the same as the previous model WR. Therefore order a schrader valve type bladder cap from any after market company like SDI.

• mch

Posted August 01, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Thanks all.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.