Bought a wr426f that had been sitting. wont start.

9 replies to this topic
  • ChrisGG

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:18 PM

Just recently bought a 2002 wr426f that needs a little work. There's 492 miles on the engine, and the decompression cable is broken. The bike had been sitting for about a year so the carbs were also full of crud and I cleaned them out the best I can.

Me and my buddy tried starting the bike by pushing the decompression lever on the engine forward since the cable is broken, and then kicking it over.
Nothing happens when we kick it over, occasionally it will make a burp noise or a very small back fire.

We took all the jets out and cleaned them thoroughly. All passages are clear except for the pilot jet (I think?) That's the one that has the little holes on the side, right? Well I don't know if its normal or not but I can't see through the pilot jet at all. I can only see light through the holes on the side. That means its clogged right? Any idea on how to clean it out? I soaked it in carb cleaner for about 45 minutes and sprayed it through many times. No luck so far.

Could it be some thing else? Maybe the spark plug? Or is it definitely that pilot jet? I'm thinking tomorrow I will try spraying carb cleaner into the intake. That should make it start for atleast a second right?

Edited by ChrisGG, July 28, 2013 - 07:19 PM.

• NEKOOHC

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Forget about cleaning the pilot jet .. Replace it

• WickedSix

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Find some wire that will be fine enough to run through the pilot, crud usually clogs it up since it's so small, and yes since that affects the idle circuit. You might check the fuel tank to make sure there isn't crud in there as well.

• J_YZ2fittyF

Posted July 28, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Forget about cleaning the pilot jet .. Replace it

+1 just replace the thing.

• ChrisGG

Posted July 29, 2013 - 02:31 PM

Replaced the jet. Cleaned every thing out again. Changed spark plug etc. It's definitely getting spark. I can't get this thing to start... it's really getting me annoyed now lol. This is my first 4 stroke bike, all I've ever owned before were 2 strokes.

From what I understand the starting procedure is..

1. Pull choke out.
2. Give 2 throttle blips to prime it.
3. Push down on kick start lever until you reach tdc (Hardest point) and slowly push through until you just barely get past that point.
4. Then kick it hard applying no gas...

Nothing works. Any idea?

Edited by ChrisGG, July 29, 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Clear the cylinder of all old gas fumes by holding down the kill button, wide open throttle, and kicking through a dozen times.
You need to do this if the bike does not start in 10 kicks, every time.
Raise your idle screw in one turn
Put your fuel screw at 1.5 turns out.

Now do the starting procedure.
You may not need any priming.
You may need to crack the throttle ever so slightly.

I'd push start it, get it going, verify clean running idle, adjust fuel screw, THEN learn the starting procedure for YOUR bike.

• ChrisGG

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Well the air screw is at around 2 turns out right now I think. That's where it was when I got it.

At this point in time there's probably about 100 kicks of fuel on that spark plug. I'm assuming that when you kick the bike over even with no gas, it still squirts a little into the engine. In that case, we are probably way past the flooded point.

How do I push start the bike without it locking up the back tire? I've tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. No luck,

• YZX

Posted July 29, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Well the air screw is at around 2 turns out right now I think. That's where it was when I got it.

At this point in time there's probably about 100 kicks of fuel on that spark plug. I'm assuming that when you kick the bike over even with no gas, it still squirts a little into the engine. In that case, we are probably way past the flooded point.

How do I push start the bike without it locking up the back tire? I've tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. No luck,

you're doing the starting procedure correctly. Get someone to push you very fast and then pop it into first and that should work.

• Thommo_400f

Posted July 30, 2013 - 02:59 AM

Get a tow on Tarmac in 2nd or 3rd. She'll eventually fire up.

• YZX

Posted July 30, 2013 - 10:25 AM

Get a tow on Tarmac in 2nd or 3rd. She'll eventually fire up.

+1, should fire right up

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.