Honda

Honda Rancher 420 AT shifting problems

1 reply to this topic
  • Jess6369

Posted July 28, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello,

I have a 2011 Honda Rancher 420 AT 4x4 with 460 miles on it.

It has the auto and electronic shift.

It recently has had trouble shifting from neutral to first when the engine is cold. Now when driving in automatic it will go first, second, and then bang into fourth.

Using the electronic shift, I can shift first through third usally and then it gets buggy and will skip 4th or not go to 5th or just not go in any gear at all and dispay a dash.

I took it for a test drive tonight and it wouldn't get into gear once I got halfway down the driveway and showed a trouble code of "32" which is fail safe relay malfunction. I am attempting to keep shifting it and see what triggers the code again.

I rocked the atv back and forth and got it to shift back to neutral after i got the trouble code and shifted into drive by rocking it again and it was fine after that.

Things I have tried: Cleaned shift motor (wasn't that dirty)

Changed oil. Used rotella 10w 30 synthetic

Changed rear and front diff oil. Used marine quality gear lube. SAE 80

Things I have not tried: Manually shifting and anything with the angle sensors
Clutch adjustment

Any guesses or advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jess6369

Posted August 06, 2013 - 04:43 PM

Just in case anyone has a similar issue.

We took the ATV to our dealer where they diagnosed it as a faulty shift angle sensor. Honda replaced it free of charge. Back to normal shifting

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Honda

2013 Honda TRX250x Fuel screw by Quisp

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Sport ATV
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Honda

1985 Honda 250r atc by Casper48

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Honda

2001 TRX400EX cam replacement by Joisey

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Honda

atc 110 exhaust by Zachary Edward Shea

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Utility ATV
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Honda

Honda foreman trx500 aftermarket exhaust systems? by total trials 23

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Utility ATV
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.