yamaha baja team. when?! why not?

16 replies to this topic
  • rangerclass7sx

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:34 PM

why doesnt yamaha sign up some bad ass riders like kendall norman and quinn cody and put them on a wr450f and race baja, i think the only reason the crf x is king becuase its the only motorcycle manufacturer present in the event... except for ktm whos finally pulled their head out of the sand and is making big noise!, kawasaki is barely there with team thr wich i dont think is really backed by kawasaki. and they ride a mx bike kx450f set up for desert.
WHY YAMAHA WHY!!!!! need to see them bluebombers more present down there

What you guys think !!! how can we contact yamaha and give them some crap!?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Have you ever ridden your Yamaha in the Desert?
It's not the best desert bike. Way too busy.
That's why the big and long bikes like the 450X and the KX450 are so popular.
Soooo easy to ride in the dez.

• n16ht5

Posted July 28, 2013 - 07:40 PM

if they took their head out of their butts and put a WR tranny and suspension into a YZF they would have a great dez bike

Posted July 29, 2013 - 05:25 AM

if they took their head out of their butts and put a WR tranny and suspension into a YZF they would have a great dez bike

If they put a Wr motor/tranny into an 07' YZ450f rolling chasis, that would be a very stable desert racer. Unfortunately to be a Factory race team they would have to stick with the newer model Yz or Wr. The Wr is definitely not a high speed bike and it would probably be to big a science project to get the Wr's motor/tranny into the Yz's frame so in reality Yamaha doesn't really have a bike they could race. They could try and just gear up the Yz but Kawasaki tried that and it didn't end well for them. Probably be best to just work with the current Wr, maybe work with the triple clamps, try some offsets. I'm sure they could get the bike high speed stable without modifying to much. Then there's the money. Baja isn't exactly a huge race for the motorcycle industry. Yes its a big race, yes its a good race but even Honda has had their struggles (down sizing, sponsers etc) over the past 5 years and they have been winning.

• rangerclass7sx

Posted July 29, 2013 - 03:59 PM

If they put a Wr motor/tranny into an 07' YZ450f rolling chasis, that would be a very stable desert racer. Unfortunately to be a Factory race team they would have to stick with the newer model Yz or Wr. The Wr is definitely not a high speed bike and it would probably be to big a science project to get the Wr's motor/tranny into the Yz's frame so in reality Yamaha doesn't really have a bike they could race. They could try and just gear up the Yz but Kawasaki tried that and it didn't end well for them. Probably be best to just work with the current Wr, maybe work with the triple clamps, try some offsets. I'm sure they could get the bike high speed stable without modifying to much. Then there's the money. Baja isn't exactly a huge race for the motorcycle industry. Yes its a big race, yes its a good race but even Honda has had their struggles (down sizing, sponsers etc) over the past 5 years and they have been winning.

true about the downsizin with honda... so are you guys saying the crf450 x bike really is a better desert bike?

• smv ryder

Posted July 29, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Not the baja.. But the Dakar is pretty gnarly.
I would say Cyril Despres is on par with the best riders in the world and riding a yz450f
http://www.yamaha-ra...n Cyril Despres

• smv ryder

Posted July 29, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Posted Image

Different Yamaha rally bike with the new one
Posted Image

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:34 PM

true about the downsizin with honda... so are you guys saying the crf450 x bike really is a better desert bike?

Way, way way better.
I have owned everything (accept a Skuzuki) and the KX450 is THE best in the desert, but....they don't last. All the metal on Kawi's is soft or brittle. Maico-Kaw-wo-break-o.

The X is the King of going fast (45 mph+) and still lasting several seasons. It also responds amazingly to fine tuning of the suspension: the frame and fork flex are juuuust right.

It's a frigging freight train with knobbies.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rangerclass7sx

Posted July 30, 2013 - 04:19 PM

why do you guys say the yz would be better i had a yz450f set up for desert and i had mixed feelings about it

• dustdogg

Posted July 31, 2013 - 06:21 PM

My last two bikes have been WR's and they have been great desert bikes after some suspension work. I have also ridden some 450X's and agree they are good in the desert but its not like they are the only bike capable of winning in Baja. Honda just happen to have some of the best riders and provides the most support. There is no reason why Yamaha (if they wanted to) couldn't take the new WR and make it work for Baja. Yes the new model seems to have some different geometry but its certianly a capable bike in the right hands, plus you wouldn't have to worry about reliability!! I would love to see it but wouldn't hold my breath.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 31, 2013 - 07:41 PM

My last two bikes have been WR's and they have been great desert bikes after some suspension work. I have also ridden some 450X's and agree they are good in the desert but its not like they are the only bike capable of winning in Baja. Honda just happen to have some of the best riders and provides the most support. There is no reason why Yamaha (if they wanted to) couldn't take the new WR and make it work for Baja. Yes the new model seems to have some different geometry but its certianly a capable bike in the right hands, plus you wouldn't have to worry about reliability!! I would love to see it but wouldn't hold my breath.

Nice dream.

Not gonna happen for the same reason 'some the best riders in the world' never use the 450X for tight woods. It's a desert bike.

You don't play a Catcher at First base, and you don't use a Pitcher to Pinch hit. All are capable, all are specialized.

Watch Rip to the Tip or Rip to Cabo, 2012 /3

Posted August 01, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yes the new model seems to have some different geometry but its certianly a capable bike in the right hands, plus you wouldn't have to worry about reliability!! I would love to see it but wouldn't hold my breath.

Agreed. If Yamaha wanted to all they would have to do is push the rake out on the front forks, max out the rear wheel for a longer wheelbase and adjust the suspension accordingly. That would do wonders for the high speed stability. The bike isn't really the stopper though its having the money to put down on a race team and seeing the return on the investment.

Posted August 01, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Nice dream.

Not gonna happen for the same reason 'some the best riders in the world' never use the 450X for tight woods. It's a desert bike.

You don't play a Catcher at First base, and you don't use a Pitcher to Pinch hit. All are capable, all are specialized.

Watch Rip to the Tip or Rip to Cabo, 2012 /3

I agree with "its not going to happen" because I think Yamaha's market intentions are for the hare scrambles/gncc style races. The catch/pitcher comparison is exactly what Honda did with the 650R/450x. The 450X is a more versatile bike and compared to the competition today probably the most desert worthy racer but the Xr650R was a better Baja bike. Once the suspension was done and the bike was uncorked that 650 was a much more stable bike at high speeds and it had more power on tap when going a 100 mph plus than the X does. I'm actually on the fence right now on purchacing an older 650R for the dual sport stuff just because I remember how nice that bike was hauling down dirt roads and how much more stable it felt at the higher speeds.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted August 01, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, just because it's not suited to being competitive at Baja does not make it any less of a bike.

I have owned a few WR's because of how great they handle at both single track and fast fireroads and soft mx.
But when I take it in the desert, I have to slow down after only two hours, cause I'm beat up all ready.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 03, 2013 - 02:59 AM

I ride with a bunch of guys down in Baja every winter, and we all run the WR's. While we aren't racing them, we definately do some "spirited" riding from time to time! And with the Yamaha durability, reliability is a given!!

If Yamaha wanted to race the WR in Baja, they could, and would be competitive if they wanted too. Problem being, they don't want too. There really is no "return" on there investment involved in winning the Baja. And that is why Yamaha doesn't race the Baja.

• smv ryder

Posted September 17, 2013 - 04:09 PM

BD8AD454-C3B4-49F9-84C8-9C6F131FA4A1-365

• n i c k

Posted September 17, 2013 - 06:38 PM

The fastest bike that went by our baja 500 pit was a WR. It was getting ridden by the mexico MX champion or something like that. It was a sportsman entry but he was going around a whooped out sweeping left hand turn at least 15 mph faster than Taylor Robert or mike brown. We were pitting for Timmy on the JCR bike so we didn't get to see his speed through there. Another pro rider was doing a rider change at our pit(riding a 450x) and even he said he could not believe how fast that WR flew by. He is a test rider for some company and he mentioned that the new WR's are his new favorite to ride in the desert now. There were more WR's down at the 500 than I've ever seen. Yamaha would be smart to jump on the Baja scene with the direction Roger Norman is taking it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.