2013 WP suspension set-up tips for those who need help

174 replies to this topic
  • BZYZ33

Posted September 08, 2013 - 03:28 AM

Tye 1138: 2012 KTM 450 Factory Edition.Probably will order the rear spring to start and make some adjustments from there. Installed a Moose skid plate yesterday and was a little tricky to get into position but looks like it will offer some great engine protection.

Thanks

Edited by BZYZ33, September 08, 2013 - 03:30 AM.

• mxracer71

Posted September 09, 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the response-finding my way slowly with the WP Suspension adjustments
The HS is at the top of the shock and the rebound at the bottom?
What would be a good starting point to gage where the current settings are at? Bring them all in one direction and back out?
Have not touched the adjustmement at the bottom of the forks either. Bike has less than 10 hours and suspension fluids are good.

Probably going to finish out the season and change the rear spring over the winter.

Thanks again.

Tye is right asking what model / year you have, but i feel safe saying that all years/models of KTM's are sprung & valved light ....

just turn them all clockwise till stops, then back out to 2 less than manual says ( talking about rebound only) you should notice an improvement in whoops, rollers, chop.  that was your complaint as i remember ??   Did you set your sag to 98 mm yet

• mxracer71

Posted September 13, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Did my 2nd Race in the 50+ class last weekend, improved from  6/5 to 3/3 moto finishes..... think i'm about done fiddling with the suspension, its about "as good as it can get" for stock components.

Hope everyone else is finding suitable settings aswell, thats the whole purpose of this thread :ride:

• mog

Posted September 14, 2013 - 09:13 AM

0.46 and 5.4 on the 13 sxf 250 , not light IMO

• qwert321

Posted September 14, 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have tried a lot of settings that I thought were great at un prepped beat tracks I knew well, and have to say nothing works better than stock on race day when the track gets race beat.

With the rebound turned in even 2 clicks front and back the bike turns into a board and won't soak up anything and kicks like a mule,.

which to what i know means rebou d is to slow.

for now I will stay with stock settings and sag at 105mm.

• mxracer71

Posted September 15, 2013 - 09:15 AM

I hear ya brother..... i kept a log of how each set-up worked & the track conditions of the day, all i ended up with is a shorter version of "War & Peace" . (Simply translated) a whole lot of gobbly gook that i cant make heads or tails of ..... Now i just go with what feels good, LOL.

But its been fun bouncing idea's,(settings & results) off of each other here on the thread cause lets face it, the jap bikes come fitted nicely in stock form for a large range of riders, while our orange bikes come well fitted yet with a different personality which requires alittle more effort to fine tune.

• BZYZ33

Posted September 16, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Have not had a chance to set the sag yet and hopefully will be able to soon. Wrenched back and off the bike for a couple weeks and chomping at the bit. In the Northeast we have a handful of races left before the season changes and that window is getting smaller.

Will turn rebound all the way in and back it out and test when I get the chance.

To mxracer71-at 48 I have been running the 30+ instead of the 40+ and has been going well. The 50 is creeping up.
It seems that whoop section slows me down coming out of the turn-it takes me a bit to get the bike straight-it chops through them and I lose some speed. The front seems good-it seems rear is kicking..
Thanks and will keep you posted.

Edited by BZYZ33, September 16, 2013 - 04:11 AM.

• OneFiveRacing

Posted September 17, 2013 - 03:59 PM

Have not had a chance to set the sag yet and hopefully will be able to soon. Wrenched back and off the bike for a couple weeks and chomping at the bit. In the Northeast we have a handful of races left before the season changes and that window is getting smaller.

Will turn rebound all the way in and back it out and test when I get the chance.

To mxracer71-at 48 I have been running the 30+ instead of the 40+ and has been going well. The 50 is creeping up.
It seems that whoop section slows me down coming out of the turn-it takes me a bit to get the bike straight-it chops through them and I lose some speed. The front seems good-it seems rear is kicking..
Thanks and will keep you posted.

Try slowing the rebound down a bit. It seemed to help on mine. Didn't kick me in the ass slow bad..

• mxracer71

Posted September 24, 2013 - 05:49 PM

did my 3rd race last sunday with same settings that i've been running for the past month, buddy watching trackside said my bike look the most stable coming thru the roller section..... this is the first bit of feedback other than my own observations of what the bike was doing under me, so i'm still convinced its impairative that for most MX guys....slow down that rebound front & rear & dont forget the hi-spd comp

• moto119

Posted September 25, 2013 - 06:05 AM

So what are the settings you have been running?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxracer71

Posted September 25, 2013 - 06:05 PM

175lbs without gear..... stock springs

forktubes set at 2nd ring > comp 16 > reb 10

shock sag at 98mm > low-spd comp 13 > hi-spd comp 1 3/4 turns out > reb 13

Happy enuf with this set up to forget the re-valve & pocket the cash

• moto119

Posted September 26, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Thank you.  I am close (maybe a click here or there different but I weigh 185 w/o gear) and have plan to experiment with fork rebound on next ride.  I have played with sag a bit in the range from 95-108 and find that it depends somewhat on the fork height in the clamps in order to balance the chasis.  I do mess with fork compression sometimes depending on which track and track conditions but stay pretty much within two clicks of my baseline setting.  

• mxracer71

Posted September 30, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Thank you.  I am close (maybe a click here or there different but I weigh 185 w/o gear) and have plan to experiment with fork rebound on next ride.  I have played with sag a bit in the range from 95-108 and find that it depends somewhat on the fork height in the clamps in order to balance the chasis.  I do mess with fork compression sometimes depending on which track and track conditions but stay pretty much within two clicks of my baseline setting.  

you'll like the change in attitude of the bike when you start firming up the rebound..... 

• OneFiveRacing

Posted September 30, 2013 - 05:59 PM

All right man. Seeing how you are on the subject. I was riding today and took a look at my front fork to see how the forks are compressing. About two inches from the bottom. My question is. It looked like one side was higher than the other, by about 2 or so inches. Is that even possible? And yes, I have them adjusted the same. Double and triple checked it. Input is accepted and welcomed.Sounds like there are some guys here that really know WP.

• mog

Posted September 30, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Not possible

• BZYZ33

Posted October 01, 2013 - 04:55 AM

Made the suggested changes to my bike and raced this past Sunday-brought rebound screw for rear shock all the way in and backed out two clicks. Did both motos with that setting and seemed to take the whoop section pretty good. The front seemed to be pushing back a bit and wanted to know what would be the best adjustements to start with.

2012 KTM 450 FE

Thanks

• tye1138

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Made the suggested changes to my bike and raced this past Sunday-brought rebound screw for rear shock all the way in and backed out two clicks. Did both motos with that setting and seemed to take the whoop section pretty good. The front seemed to be pushing back a bit and wanted to know what would be the best adjustements to start with.

Yea, the rebound screw shouldn't ever be all the way in and out 2, thats WAY too slow. If I did that on any of my WP shocks, the rear would literally lock in place, it wouldn't move. 

On average, the rebound should be between 10 - 14 clicks from out. When you push on the rear end, it should come up very quickly, but not shoot up under the spring's pressure. 

When you say the front pushed back, what do you mean by that? Do you mean its harsh in the mid-stroke? LOL :p

• tye1138

Posted October 01, 2013 - 08:41 PM

All right man. Seeing how you are on the subject. I was riding today and took a look at my front fork to see how the forks are compressing. About two inches from the bottom. My question is. It looked like one side was higher than the other, by about 2 or so inches. Is that even possible? And yes, I have them adjusted the same. Double and triple checked it. Input is accepted and welcomed.Sounds like there are some guys here that really know WP.

The axel and triple clamps keep the forks together as one unit, they move up and down together in sync, so there is no way they can be different in range of motion. 

Take a zip tie, throw it on both fork tubes on the chrome part, make it pretty tight. Go ride around and see how far the zip tie has moved down the chrome part of the tube. That will give you a quick indication of how much travel you are using up. 

• mxracer71

Posted October 02, 2013 - 05:28 PM

2012 KTM 450 FE

Thanks

BZY.....i think you mis-understood ...turn your rebound in clockwise 2 or so clicks from the stock setting  as a good starting point.  But who knows maybe you'll like it at 2 out after trying other settings, lol

• BZYZ33

Posted October 03, 2013 - 11:51 AM

MX Racer and Tye-yes I misunderstood. I did bring it all the way in and backed it out two clicks. Not sure what the setting was prior, but it did go in at least 10 clicks or better when I turned it.
I will back it out another 8 and try it next weekend.

As for the front-it seems to be a harsh mid stroke especially when the whoops get deeper as the day goes on.
Coming off a Honda that was built to the hills, I am still getting used to the motor and handling of the KTM.
There is a knob on the top of the fork and I have not touched that-not sure what adjustments I can make. I will let you know how the back goes.

Thanks for the tips.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.