2008 YZ450F blew up

5 replies to this topic
  • TTR230KING

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:11 AM

So i was riding down the side of the road, going to my friends house, and i went to go and crack it wide open (into a wheelie) and it just locked up, so i pushed it to my friends, i just suspected i had seized the top end (or something of that nature) and i pulled the head off, the piston was a T.D.C. so i couldnt see the cylinder and so i continued to pull off the cylinder, when i noticed "hey! the piston came out too"... so i snapped the rod, in 2 places, 1: an inch or so from the piston, and 2: going around the crank... cause the other end of the rod is locked up in the bottom, so i went ahead and ordered a hot rods complete bottom end kit and Wiseco pro lite piston kit... i noticed heat marks all around the back of the piston and the rod looks like it bent a little bit before snapping, and now im trying to get the bottom end out, but i cant seem to get the bolt that holds the swing arm off, i took the nut off, put a punch on it and hit it with a mallot a few times, and it didnt budge, so i used a really big hammer next, still wont budge, then (to a crazy extent) i had someone hold the punch and i gave it a couple taps with a sledge hammer, and still wont budge, please help!!!

• woods-rider

Posted July 26, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Try heat.

I had to cut mine in three pieces to get it out. It had seized to the races and wasn't going to move no matter what. I'll grease it more often now lol.

• FinchFan194

Posted July 27, 2013 - 10:35 AM

So i was riding down the side of the road, going to my friends house, and i went to go and crack it wide open (into a wheelie) and it just locked up, so i pushed it to my friends, i just suspected i had seized the top end (or something of that nature) and i pulled the head off, the piston was a T.D.C. so i couldnt see the cylinder and so i continued to pull off the cylinder, when i noticed "hey! the piston came out too"... so i snapped the rod, in 2 places, 1: an inch or so from the piston, and 2: going around the crank... cause the other end of the rod is locked up in the bottom, so i went ahead and ordered a hot rods complete bottom end kit and Wiseco pro lite piston kit... i noticed heat marks all around the back of the piston and the rod looks like it bent a little bit before snapping, and now im trying to get the bottom end out, but i cant seem to get the bolt that holds the swing arm off, i took the nut off, put a punch on it and hit it with a mallot a few times, and it didnt budge, so i used a really big hammer next, still wont budge, then (to a crazy extent) i had someone hold the punch and i gave it a couple taps with a sledge hammer, and still wont budge, please help!!!

Lay the bike on the ground on its right side and use an air hammer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TTR230KING

Posted July 27, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Lay the bike on the ground on its right side and use an air hammer.

i was thinking that...

• FinchFan194

Posted July 27, 2013 - 09:34 PM

I battled mine with heat and Aerokroil with a 5# sledge for a good thirty minutes before I remembered my unused air hammer in my tool box. Took it out in 5 seconds with the air hammer on WFO throttle!

• srfdwg2

Posted July 28, 2013 - 03:33 PM

If u need other parts lmk....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.