oil advice 2002 426f

Since these machines share tranny oil with crankcase oil, I think it's prudent to change oil pretty often. Personally, I change my oil after about an hour and a half of riding/racing/practice. I use a permanent type filter so I just clean that. This might sound extreme but I pay my own way.

I use Mobil 1 15W/50.

i change mine bout every month,a nd that seems to do just fine. the way my life is going i only get to ride 4x a month on average (race day on the weekend)

i use Yamalube 4r 10w-30. i am swithcing to the semi-synthetic next summer and gonna run the 20w-50 stuff.

I have had YZ-F's since they first came out at the end of 97. I have always used Yamalube 4 20w-40 and never had a problem with it. As often as we change the oil in these bikes, I simply cannot justify 2 1/2 times the cost for the semi-synthetic Yamalube 4R 10w-50.

The first couple of oil changes I threw the filters away. After that I just clean them and reuse them. Keep an eye on the rubber ends as they will eventually stretch or deform. When that happens, you'll need to get a new filter. I can usually get 5-8 changes per filter.

Ernie

I to am not lucky enough to get to ride all the time just on Sunday's mostly. Ride on a 1.3 mile motocross track at my house. I have had my bike since July or August, 01' 426 and have changed my oil only two or three times. I have always used Bel-ray EXL 10w-40 and have never had any problems. I even have run it in my pushmower LOL. I will change the filter every couple of times. As for that screen in the frame, (what a bi$%#ch!!) The first oil change it had a couple of shavings, 2nd oil change none, so every 3 or 4 changes I will take the extra 30 minutes to mess with that. As far as I am concerned if you keep the oil changed and keep the air filter clean your bike should last many years under normal operating conditions. 4 stroke durability is unbeatable, forget them 2-smokes!! ?

After every race or every 2 "play rides". I use a premium dino oil (Mobil Delvac 1300 super).

I think the experience of the guys here will tell you to change the oil a lot.

A common thread for the three 426 blowups I personally know of was that neither of the guys were changing the oil in a timely manner i.e. once a month or so. Maybe that has nothing to do with it however, of all the guys posting on TT who are overly careful with oil life hardly anyone that I remember has had a failure. A good example is YZernie.

Do not use a full synthetic oil or you will smoke the clutch. Iv'e been running Yamalube 10 w 50 4r semi synthetic oil since new . I dont care about the price , its only two quarts! Also don't forget to clean out the screen in the bottom of the frame tube up front. Change mine every 3 to 5 hours . -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2001YZ 426 F ---------- 1996 XR 650 L

Just wondering how often you guys are finding anything in the upper screen. From the old posts on this board I don't remember anyone saying they found much after break in and I don't recall anyone posting that they've found stuff in there after that. Don't remember who, but someone was saying the only real reason for the upper screen is just to trap things accidentally dropped in the pour spout and/or to catch major debris during a catestrophic engine failure.

I know I checked mine when it was about a year old and found nothing.

Just curious......

Originally posted by dan Rekito:

Do not use a full synthetic oil or you will smoke the clutch. Iv'e been running Yamalube 10 w 50 4r semi synthetic oil since new . I dont care about the price , its only two quarts! Also don't forget to clean out the screen in the bottom of the frame tube up front. Change mine every 3 to 5 hours . -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2001YZ 426 F ---------- 1996 XR 650 L

I don't think that this is true at all.

I used Mobil 1 15W-50 in my '99 YZ400 for two straight years. The clutch was never a problem. It eventually wore out, but that was after two whole racing seasons on it.

Now if you get some oil with friction modifiers in it, that is a different story.