I want to kick the Japanese engineers in their egg rolls

I tried removing the throttle stop screw from my Wr450 last night. Why in the hell did they use a safety torx screw when they know it's going to be removed, in fact they sell the replacement kit with the new screw. I so far can't find a T27 torx safety bit after 4 different stops. All I could find was a multi tool contraption with one on it. Then the location of the screw is idiotic. I had to take the whole pipe off just to get to it and then the tool wouldn't fit. The only safety torx bits I could find were 30 and up. Every time I work on a motorcycle I think the Japanese engineers are trying to get back at us for WW2. It's working. Rant over.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot who can't even post my whining in the right forum area.

Edited by Organ Donor

I tried removing the throttle stop screw from my Wr450 last night. Why in the hell did they use a safety torx screw when they know it's going to be removed, in fact they sell the replacement kit with the new screw. I so far can't find a T27 torx safety bit after 4 different stops. All I could find was a multi tool contraption with one on it. Then the location of the screw is idiotic. I had to take the whole pipe off just to get to it and then the tool wouldn't fit. The only safety torx bits I could find were 30 and up. Every time I work on a motorcycle I think the Japanese engineers are trying to get back at us for WW2. It's working. Rant over.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot who can't even post my whining in the right forum area.

OP: Use a metal hacksaw blade. All you have to do is slice a notch in the bolt (and it's easy to reach with the blade). Once you have a notch you can then use a rachet with a 1/4" socket and put a flat head bit in it. Simple and takes less than 2 minutes. There is very little torque on this bolt so it will break loose easily. This is how I got mine off since I wasn't going to buy a safety torx bit for a one-time use.

Edited by DuncR6

It is not a US only thing. Same set up here , we have a "learner approved" licence class here in NZ and power to weight is the governing factor. Thus the restricted state of approved machines. Easily rectified however :-)

An awesome bike once opened up and worth the hastle !

Yeah, I was a bit frustrated at the time and was venting. My appologies to anyone of Asian desent or anyone fond of eggrolls I may have offended. I did however, figure out my problem, well pertaining to this situation. The rest of my problems will take years of therapy to sort out.

In doing my research everything I found indicated that it was a T27 safety screw head and given the angle and location made it very difficult to figure out why I couldn't get the bit to bite. It turns out it is actually a T25 safety head screw and once I tried that it came right out with little fuss. I found three different threads online; one here on Thumpertalk, one on Supermotojunkies, and one on a U.K. board that all indicated a T27 and since everything on the internet is always 100% accurate I never questioned it. I don't know if Yamaha has changed the screw they used or what, but for anyone in the future who is doing an internet search for this information, make note that mine was in fact a T25 safety torx head screw.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was a bit frustrated at the time and was venting. My appologies to anyone of Asian desent or anyone fond of eggrolls I may have offended. I did however, figure out my problem, well pertaining to this situation. The rest of my problems will take years of therapy to sort out.

In doing my research everything I found indicated that it was a T27 safety screw head and given the angle and location made it very difficult to figure out why I couldn't get the bit to bite. It turns out it is actually a T25 safety head screw and once I tried that it came right out with little fuss. I found three different threads online; one here on Thumpertalk, one on Supermotojunkies, and one on a U.K. board that all indicated a T27 and since everything on the internet is always 100% accurate I never questioned it. I don't know if Yamaha has changed the screw they used or what, but for anyone in the future who is doing an internet search for this information, make note that mine was in fact a T25 safety torx head screw.

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is you never can be sure if they are true or not" - Abraham Lincoln

• Like 3

Gee, thanks for being part of the problem

I thought that was a ridiculous enough of a statement that the joking would just be implied. However, I forget this world is full of idiots and there are actually people out there who would do just that. To clarify that is not my intentions.

Here's a picture of her with her new shoes.

450002.jpg

I thought that was a ridiculous enough of a statement that the joking would just be implied. However, I forget this world is full of idiots and there are actually people out there who would do just that. To clarify that is not my intentions.

Here's a picture of her with her new shoes.

450002.jpg

Those wheels look horrible. I think you should remove them and send them to me for proper disposal!! ?

Just for disposal reference, is that the stock front rotor? :thinking:

• 2 years later...