Accelerator Pump diaphragm damage !

6 replies to this topic
  • mcpga

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:26 PM

This is my first 4-stroke and my first time cleaning a FCR carb. I downloaded a manual and decided to give it a try. My 03 WR450 started to run poorly and then would not even start. Here is what I found when removed the AP cover. What would have caused this to happen? Any carb cleaning helpful hints will be appreciated!image.jpg

Edited by mcpga, July 24, 2013 - 07:50 PM.

• GuyGraham

Posted July 25, 2013 - 01:03 AM

I believe its the ethanol in your fuel that rots the rubber

• mcpga

Posted July 25, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Wow! I knew it wasn't good but I had no idea ethanol would eat rubber like that.... Thank you!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weantright

Posted July 25, 2013 - 04:25 AM

Race gas also does this. Remember to clean the AP nozzle with a wire from a wire brush/wheel or something like. Verify all jets are not plugged with the rubber.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 25, 2013 - 04:56 AM

...oh, and neglect.

• mcpga

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:21 AM

Lol! Got it! I shall not neglect my carb ever again... Thanks for the link!

• tcmII

Posted August 06, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Did you use carb cleaner in it?  Carb cleaner should never be used on rubber and some plastic items. I have seen the exact problem in your picture specifically from carb clean. You can clean rubber and plastic with brake clean.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.