Early yz450s

5 replies to this topic
  • 89cr

Posted July 24, 2013 - 01:33 PM

I'm looking at getting a 450. I've been looking around and I know the early yfz quads lack an oil squirter for the bottom end. Is that true for the bikes as well? I can't seem to find any info on it.

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2013 - 03:38 PM

The oil squirter is not for the bottom end, it's in the bikes to cool the piston crown. In the quads, it doubles as a wrist pin oiler. The earlier quads had a lot of trouble with wrist pins, but the bikes, going all the way back to the first 450 in '03, never had any trouble with it. The oiler was added to the bike engine with the '06 model.

It's a total non-issue when considering the YZ450F.

• 89cr

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:41 PM

I'm sorry I thought I read somewhere it was for the crank. Thanks for the info grayracer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 89cr

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Anything to look for or common issues with the 03 or other early models?

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:23 PM

I'm sorry I thought I read somewhere it was for the crank.

Well, if the wrist pin fails, then the top of the rod is usually damaged or torn off, so you have rebuild or, more likely, replace the crank. I can see why someone would look at it that way.

Anything to look for or common issues with the 03 or other early models?

Old age and high mileage. Signs of how well it's been maintained, or whether repairs have been neglected, all just more or less the normal stuff.

Read this post:

http://www.thumperta.../#entry10901701

The first paragraph won't make sense right away unless you read the question above it, so just read past that.

If I wanted a Gen1 YZ450 (steel frame, four speed), I'd look for an '04.

• rangerclass7sx

Posted July 28, 2013 - 12:35 PM

i had a 2004 yz450f , got it brand new. rode it to hell and back, all baja miles , never had one mecanical problem what so ever, the only thing i ever changed was the oil regularly, and the water pump shaft and seal>> and this was in 2013...
thats all i can say about that dang bike, never had to adjust valves !!

Edited by rangerclass7sx, July 28, 2013 - 12:37 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.