Adding a Radiator Fan to 2012 WR450

15 replies to this topic
  • Rusty99

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Hi all,

I just picked up a 2012 WR450. I've read that these bikes tend to run really hot, but on first ride out on the trails we were riding some very slow technically bush and my bike really got hot. I mean the overflow rad reservoir was bubbling and hissing away. There was steam pouring out of the bottom hoses.

So being a newbie to dirt bikes I was a bike concerned. Is there a fan I can add to the WR to help cool it down? I was also going to change the rad coolant to a product called Coolanol or Engine Ice.

Cheers
Rusty

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 22, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Read the pinned posts at the top of the forum.

You need to uncork the intake and exhaust, re-map, and then see if you need a fan.

• DuncR6

Posted July 22, 2013 - 01:33 PM

1.) Is there a fan I can add to the WR to help cool it down? 2.) I was also going to change the rad coolant to a product called Coolanol or Engine Ice.

1.) I just completed this a few weeks ago on my '12. I am using SPAL 4" pusher fans and found that http://thmotorsports...9/i-519485.aspx had the best shipped price. The fan pictured on that page is not the same one you'll receive, it's just a generic picture. After getting them I used simple bolts/washer/nylon locking nuts to secure the fans to the front of the radiator. I took an exacto knife to the OEM shrounds and cut a circle so the fans could fit. When I was all done I was able to keep everything as factory looking as possible. I can remove parts without the fans first needing to come off so that was a bonus making wrenching on the bike not an annoying task. It just takes time and measuring everything twice so you can make sure you can get sockets to all the bolts even with the fans mounted.

For wiring I am using a left side '08 R6 hand control (european edition). I wired a 4 pin relay from the battery and I'm using the R6's hazard light button as the fan on/off. The european model has a hazard light button as well as a "flash to pass" momentary switch where as the USA model does not have either. I initially tried (and wanted to use) an adjustable temperature control unit with a probe in the radiator fins that would tell the fans when to come on/off. The one I tried didn't work so I wired it straight to a manual switch. I'm actually happier with this method because when on trails I can decide when to turn it on/off and it won't come on when I might not want it to be. To aid in the ease of disconnecting the fans, each fan has a Yamaha OEM 2-pin connector from K&L supply. The K&L part numbers to order from a local dealership are 1 each of:

2 pin M coupler (5pc): 34-9298
2 pin F coupler (5pc): 34-9299
M Pins (50pc): 34-9295
F Pins (50pc): 34-9296
Pin Seal (50pc): 34-9297

2.) I know some people will disagree and that's fine, but I wouldn't waste your on Engine Ice. I have that in my street bike that I use for trackdays and it's just not worth the money. I have straight distilled water in my WR. I don't use water wetter because I find that to also be a waste of money. Once winter comes I will add regular engine coolant back into the bike....and then once again replace that with water only next spring.

EDIT: If you'd like more information I can post a wiring diagram as well as pictures for the fans.

Edited by DuncR6, July 23, 2013 - 04:39 AM.

• vlxjim

Posted July 22, 2013 - 03:56 PM

1.) I just completed this a few weeks ago on my '12. I am using SPAL 4" pusher fans and found that http://thmotorsports...9/i-519485.aspx had the best shipped price. The fan pictured on that page is not the same one you'll receive, it's just a generic picture. After getting them I used simple bolts/washer/nylon locking nuts to secure the fans to the front of the radiator. I took an exacto knife to the OEM shrounds and cut a circle so the fans could fit. When I was all done I was able to keep everything as factory looking as possible. I can remove parts without the fans first needing to come off so that was a bonus making wrenching on the bike not an annoying task. It just takes time and measuring everything twice so you can make sure you can get sockets to all the bolts even with the fans mounted.

For wiring I am using a left side '08 R6 hand control (european edition). I wired a 4 pin relay from the battery and I'm using the R6's hazard light button as the fan on/off. The european model has a hazard light button as well as a "flash to pass" momentary switch where as the USA model does not have either. I initially tried (and wanted to use) an adjustable temperature control unit with a probe in the radiator fins that would tell the fans when to come on/off. The one I tried didn't work so I wired it straight to a manual switch. I'm actually happier with this method because when on trails I can decide when to turn it on/off and it won't come on when I might not want it to be. To aid in the ease of disconnecting the fans, each fan has a Yamaha OEM 2-pin connector from K&L supply. The K&L part numbers to order from a local dealership are 1 each of:

2 pin M coupler (5pc): 34-9298
2 pin F coupler (5pc): 34-9299
M Pins (50pc): 34-9295
F Pins (50pc): 34-9296

2.) I know some people will disagree and that's fine, but I wouldn't waste your on Engine Ice. I have that in my street bike that I use for trackdays and it's just not worth the money. I have straight distilled water in my WR. I don't use water wetter because I find that to also be a waste of money. Once winter comes I will add regular engine coolant back into the bike....and then once again replace that with water only next spring.

EDIT: If you'd like more information I can post a wiring diagram as well as pictures for the fans.

Some more info and photos please. Thanks

• GreenHornet450

Posted July 22, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Hi all,

I just picked up a 2012 WR450. I've read that these bikes tend to run really hot, but on first ride out on the trails we were riding some very slow technically bush and my bike really got hot. I mean the overflow rad reservoir was bubbling and hissing away. There was steam pouring out of the bottom hoses.

So being a newbie to dirt bikes I was a bike concerned. Is there a fan I can add to the WR to help cool it down? I was also going to change the rad coolant to a product called Coolanol or Engine Ice.

Cheers
Rusty

Try Evans Waterless Coolant. You will never go back after that.

• thumper_calgary

Posted July 23, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Different coolant simply masks the symptoms of overheating (boiling over). It does very little to cool the bike more efficiently at slow speeds. Fans and a water pump are the only method of doing this. Read the stickies and think twice about mounting anything through the rad as I have seen some people do.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 23, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Coolant changes only change the boiling point, unless it is 'wetter' addivitve, which will drop the temps 5% or so.
Not enough to prevent boil over, unless you go with a higher pressure cap (16). That's all I do.

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2013 - 06:44 AM

The fans are the best solution to this particular problem because they directly address the root cause; a lack of air flow over the radiators.

Extreme high temp coolants such as Evans or Zip-Ty are last resort measures, I don't favor them because they allow, or even encourage, riders to run their engines hotter than "normal" by not reaching the boiling point until higher temperatures. Evans is said to boil at around 415 ℉ under 16 psi (1.1 bar). This means that the head will be running more than 150 degrees hotter by the time it boils over. I would much rather address the cooling issue another way and avoid that sort of thing. Such coolants are useful in applications like serious H&H racing, because they do help retain coolant, since they won't boil out so easily. Combining them with a fan system helps to assure that the coolant level stays up for the entire event.

But, also mentioned is the fact that water by itself cools better than any coolant mix, and the more concentrated the non-water elements of the coolant are, the less efficient it is in cooling the engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DuncR6

Posted July 24, 2013 - 07:03 AM

Some more info and photos please. Thanks

I haven't forgotten about this, just haven't had time yet. I'll be doing this for you within the next few days.

• Mtn-Track

Posted July 24, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Read this thread, pic's of pusher fan at #56....

http://www.thumperta.../page__hl__ fan

/

• stevethe

Posted July 25, 2013 - 06:00 AM

Out here in so. cal. I wouldn't be able to ride either of my WR450's without running straight anti freeze. Most in our group all use it straight no boil overs no fans no coolant loss. Yea, yea I heard it runs hot, never noticed that. Been running it that way forever. For the dirt very technical trails, hill climbs, and the street supermoto, stop and go traffic at times down PCH in the summer.

• DuncR6

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:05 AM

Out here in so. cal. I wouldn't be able to ride either of my WR450's without running straight anti freeze.

You're using unmixed, full concentrate antifreeze?

• stevethe

Posted July 25, 2013 - 08:11 AM

You're using unmixed, full concentrate antifreeze?

Yup the five year straight anti freeze, drain it once every five years. Been doing it that since my 89' CR500 days. No issues.

If you try it and don't like it it's easy enough to go back.

Edited by stevethe, July 25, 2013 - 08:13 AM.

• n16ht5

Posted July 25, 2013 - 09:01 AM

fans only complicate things. unless you sit with your bike idling, you shouldn't overheat.. ride faster, set your bike up properly. Follow Krannie's advice and do the proper pinned mods to your bike. I rode all day yesterday in 90-95F heat at 6-7000ft with a 16 tooth countershaft, oversized airflow stopping tank, going up tight switchbacks on some of the hardest trails I can get up, and never overheated once.
Posted Image

• Rusty99

Posted July 30, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Well I managed to overheat the bike again yesterday in a long stretch of me stalling and falling of the bike numerous times. Swampy muskeg trail I follow a buddy down. The night before I changed my coolant to Coolanol which is similar to engine ice I believe. End of the day I'm gonna install a fan. I'm a newbie rider and can't maintain enough speed in the technical stuff.

• gsa102

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:42 AM

The WRs run cooler than a lot of other bikes. Make sure you do the mods as mentioned, and the problem should go away without a fan. I follow other bikes in races in really tight stuff and watch them steam like a train, but my 07 never does in the same conditions.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.