2004 wr450f carb issues

6 replies to this topic
  • Ben_212

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:56 AM

Please help just bought my first wr and having some real issues with the carb, it does idle but it's dog rough, all of a sudden the revs seem to go up a considerable amount on their own and then just drop again the main pilot screw was turned all the way in for some reason and when I tried to set it to around 1 1/2 it revved its knackers off, turned idle down and still had same problem of fluctuating revs PLEASE HELP!

• MaxPower

Posted July 21, 2013 - 04:23 PM

Follow your hot start cable into the top of the carb. It will have a little plastic nut on the end of the cable that holds it to the carb . Make sure that piece is not broken. If someone had changed jetting on your bike in the past, it's very possible that piece had broke when they twisted the carb to get at the float bowl.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 21, 2013 - 05:33 PM

You pretty much need to start from scratch.
If you don't know what's in there, it's time to find out.
Time to clean, replace, and upgrade.
http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

Read the pinned posts regarding uncorking and jetting.

It's a pain, a real pain, but so worth it when it's done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 96YAMARID3R

Posted July 22, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Follow your hot start cable into the top of the carb. It will have a little plastic nut on the end of the cable that holds it to the carb . Make sure that piece is not broken. If someone had changed jetting on your bike in the past, it's very possible that piece had broke when they twisted the carb to get at the float bowl.

YES, make sure that little plastic thing isnt broken! Had that happen on my WR450. The bike ran super lean always popping and ran so hot. Also get an air fuel screw from works connection. Makes adjusting air fuel mixture super easy. Good luck.

• MaxPower

Posted July 26, 2013 - 08:08 AM

Please help just bought my first wr and having some real issues with the carb, it does idle but it's dog rough, all of a sudden the revs seem to go up a considerable amount on their own and then just drop again the main pilot screw was turned all the way in for some reason and when I tried to set it to around 1 1/2 it revved its knackers off, turned idle down and still had same problem of fluctuating revs PLEASE HELP!

So how did you do with it Ben?

• Ben_212

Posted July 27, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Got right onto it took carb off n stripped it right down 1. The nut that holds the hot start plunger in was threaded to buggery and 2. The plunger itself wasn't exactly in the best of nick so replaced both bits new plunger and nice machined nut, there was only a very small amount of shite in bottom so that got cleaned out and still waiting on mix screw as they sent me a clutch lever instead time will tell I suppose when put it back on bike n try it. Which me luck

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 27, 2013 - 12:47 PM

Got right onto it took carb off n stripped it right down 1. The nut that holds the hot start plunger in was threaded to buggery and 2. The plunger itself wasn't exactly in the best of nick so replaced both bits new plunger and nice machined nut, there was only a very small amount of shite in bottom so that got cleaned out and still waiting on mix screw as they sent me a clutch lever instead time will tell I suppose when put it back on bike n try it. Which me luck

good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.