• shrubitup

Posted September 17, 2013 - 08:20 PM

:thumbsup: :banana:

• kawi380

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:31 AM

I'm not gonna lie, that heads looks pretty :applause:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 18, 2013 - 04:32 AM

For those of you who have looked inside the intake, this pic will give you an idea of how much work went into shaping the ports to be symetrical and smooth in shape.

999761_10200681488859841_1656129212_n_zp

Edited by Krannie, September 19, 2013 - 02:58 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 18, 2013 - 05:42 PM

OK, so did it work? Does it have a nice flat yet agressive power band now? Is it fast? Is it torquey? It it the best dang motorcycle riding experience of all time?

This picture says it all:

549579_10202276358857239_1347426589_n.jp

Hot damn! 

Edited by Krannie, September 18, 2013 - 05:43 PM.

• n i c k

Posted September 19, 2013 - 10:06 AM

Ok, time for some camparrison. Does the port and polish job on the WR with whatever cam you've chosen, produce a bigger change than with the same work done on the 450x?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Ok, time for some camparrison. Does the port and polish job on the WR with whatever cam you've chosen, produce a bigger change than with the same work done on the 450x?

Time will tell.

I've only ridden the new version of the WR on the street.  

That is usually the best way to find the flat spots and peaks in the power (no wheel spin), and it's pretty fast.

I ride dirt on Saturday.

The big issue for me is not more, it's better power. With that comes more power, but unless it's better (which it was not, for me, with just the Hotcams Stage II in/ex set up) it's kind of pointless.

From seat of the pants, it's now about 6-8 hp more from 2500- 8000 rmp, than a fully un-corked stock WR, with much more throttle response and control at all rpms. 

On my test road ( a long 1% uphill road in the hills with no side streets for about 1/2 mile) I get to 68/77/86 mph max speed, respectively, with uncorked/cams only/stage III porting.

Not scientific, but still obviously improving in performance.

But the big thing is runnability.  No longer do I have to down shift to accelerate. Just roll on the throttle for more. At low rpms you have to roll it slower of course, but no longer does the motor hit a 'point of no return' if you let it get too low in the rpms, forcing you to downshift just to retain forward motion.

Pre porting, on my very steep test hill, I could short shift to 5th at the bottom, and have to shift down to 3rd to make it to the top.

Now, I can keep it in 5th all the way to the top, running clean at 3000 rpms, and pulling again at 3800 rpms. That's impressive. 

My X almost does that.

The whole point of this was to create a bike with the fantastic power and suspension of my X, that has a significantly lower center of gravity, and is more nimble at a walking pace. 

I attempted to get this by modifying KTM's, but the handling and power are so far off from my liking, it was a dead end. 

I can't wait to get it out there!

100_5489_zps1a323eac.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2013 - 06:11 PM

2008 WR450F

CARB MODIFICATIONS:

R&D REMOTE FUEL SCREW

NCSV NEEDLE / 4TH

175 MAIN /  45 PILOT

STOCK ACV VALVE AND AIR JET

50 LEAK JET

AMPUMP TIMED TO JUST MISS SLIDE, SQUIRT FOR (1) SECOND

R&D APUMP LINKAGE SPRING

ERGONOMIC MODIFICATIONS

FASTWAY F3 LOWER PEGS

GUTS RACING TALL/FIRM SEAT FOAM + 1.5” EXTRA,  AND COMP COVER

GPR BAR RISERS*

GRP DAMPER*

CR BEND PRO TAPER BARS*

CYCRA PRO BEND CRM MOUNT HAND GUARDS

ENGINE MODIFICATIONS

OEM PISTON, RINGS, TIMING CHAIN AND TENSION-ER JUST DONE

HOT CAMS YZ-SPEC CAM SET

AS RACING STAGE 3 PORT AND POLISH

DUBACH RACING 2007 YZ HEADER

DUBACH RACING FULL STAINLESS MUFFLER AND S/A

DYNATEK FS IGNITION SYSTEM WITH REMOTE SWTICH IN AIRBOX

BODY

OEM 2012 HEADSHELL 

RICKY STATOR H4- HID LIGHTING

OEM 2012 FRONT FENDER

TRAIL TECH ENDURANCE COMPUTER

BRP BILLET ENDURANCE MOUNT

CUSTOM LIGHTING HARNESS BY AS RACING

CA PLATED*

1996 HONDA XL DS BAR CLUSTER SWITCH (PUSH BUTTON CANCELING)

SUSPENSION/FRAME/WHEELS

2006 YZ450F FRONT AND REAR SUSPENSION (AND REBUILD)

SKF SEALS FRONT AND REAR

RE-SPRING AND RE-VALVE BY STERIC RACING - .56/ 6.4

EXCEL BLACK RIMS AND HUBS, WITH TAGASAKO HD SPOKES*

BRIDGESTONE M403 90/100 FRONT TIRE

KENDA PARKER DT-II 120/100 REAR TIRE

ELECTRICAL

HIGHWAY DIRTBIKE OVER/UNDER SWITCHES (START AND KILL) *

RICKY STATOR REWIND (130 W) *

DYNATEX RE-MAP: TPS TURNOVER POINTS ALTERED, MAP THREE (AGGRESSIVE AT WOT)

* CAME WITH BIKE WHEN PURCHASED

Edited by Krannie, September 19, 2013 - 06:11 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Here are the answers to the inevitable questions:

I didn't buy a 2012 because they have smaller ergos (pegs are higher, seat is lower, bars are closer)

I bought a used bike so I could get a plate that would not be 'pulled' ( I know the registration company who plated it)

I didn't just buy a KTM because that would be stupid

I didn't just buy a BETA because I am waiting to see if they keep up the good work

I didn't buy anything new, because anything out there is made for smaller, shorter riders, so I have to put $1k+ in to any bike I ride, if I want to be comfortable.

I cammed and ported the motor instead of going with a big-bore kit for 'more power' because the motor becomes more sluggish and tractor like, and looses top end pull with the BB kits

...because I have no kids, no ailing parents, and make a great living.....!

• KennyMc

Posted September 19, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Hey Blll, do you feel the 86mph is the max speed for the bike?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hey Blll, do you feel the 86mph is the max speed for the bike?

I don't know....dirt is totally different, let alone desert dirt.

I've never calibrated my speedo either.

..and I weigh a ton, so everyone has higher top speed than me.

...but to answer your question, I was wrung all the way out for several seconds in the direction that is oh so slightly up hill, and there was nothing left. 

The good thing is, for sure I can pull higher gearing now, if I ever wanted to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted September 19, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Just wondering. I have hit 90 once on my bike which was confirmed by by GPS. This was on a dirt road in JV after the work Paul did on it. But yeah, I am shorter, smaller...geared with a 49 in back. I may have had a bit more left. I am not one that likes to wring out the bike so I really don't have a base number to compare it to.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 20, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Yeah, I hate that feeling of bike being fully wrung out....it just seems wrong and destructive. 

I'll take the meaty middle part.

• Parx_400

Posted September 20, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Here are the answers to the inevitable questions:

I didn't buy a 2012 because they have smaller ergos (pegs are higher, seat is lower, bars are closer)

I didn't buy anything new, because anything out there is made for smaller, shorter riders, so I have to put $1k+ in to any bike I ride, if I want to be comfortable.

I hear you on those brother. almost 6,3 over here.  My WR400 with lowered pegs fit me better than my 06wr with the same. I ended up doing a tall seat on this bike. 

Edited by Parx_400, September 20, 2013 - 01:09 PM.

• stevethe

Posted September 20, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Just wondering. I have hit 90 once on my bike which was confirmed by by GPS. This was on a dirt road in JV after the work Paul did on it. But yeah, I am shorter, smaller...geared with a 49 in back. I may have had a bit more left. I am not one that likes to wring out the bike so I really don't have a base number to compare it to.

Not a million miles an hour faster for a built supermoto one on the street. A little over 100 mph on my street version.

• KennyMc

Posted September 20, 2013 - 04:06 PM

Not a million miles an hour faster for a built supermoto one on the street. A little over 100 mph on my street version.

Yeah, I don't know what it would do on the street and I doubt I will ever find out.  It is plated but I just don't like to pin it for any lenght of time.  I did have my 2006 Maxima up to 124 one time because someone said it had a govenor at 120.  F'n liars :lol:

• JDLowrance

Posted September 20, 2013 - 06:00 PM

I hear you on those brother. almost 6,3 over here.  My WR400 with lowered pegs fit me better than my 06wr with the same. I ended up doing a tall seat on this bike. 

I'm a fairly large individual (6'2" - 255-260) and I've set up the 2012 to where it fits just as well as any of my other Yamahas. You guys are correct in stating that it starts off a little smaller but after installing bar mounts that are 10mm higher and 15mm farther forward along with some KX high bars rotated to +1 degree and fastway pegs in the lowboy position the bike fits well. A slightly taller seat may find it's way onto the bike at some point in the future but for now all is working pretty damn well.

• KennyMc

Posted September 20, 2013 - 09:37 PM

The guys with the earlier WR's (earlier than '09), what Fastway pegs are you getting to fit in the Lowboy position? Their website says that they won't fit in this position for the WR's so I must be missing sumtin' on the website. Any guidance?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 21, 2013 - 03:45 AM

The guys with the earlier WR's (earlier than '09), what Fastway pegs are you getting to fit in the Lowboy position? Their website says that they won't fit in this position for the WR's so I must be missing sumtin' on the website. Any guidance?

EVO F3 Fastway pegs fit fine.

That peg will transfer over to almost any bike with just a change in the removable pivot, the part the changes the peg height.

BUSHINGS.jpg

FWEVO.jpg

• Krannie McKranface

Posted September 21, 2013 - 03:55 AM

I'm a fairly large individual (6'2" - 255-260) and I've set up the 2012 to where it fits just as well as any of my other Yamahas. You guys are correct in stating that it starts off a little smaller but after installing bar mounts that are 10mm higher and 15mm farther forward along with some KX high bars rotated to +1 degree and fastway pegs in the lowboy position the bike fits well. A slightly taller seat may find it's way onto the bike at some point in the future but for now all is working pretty damn well.

Yeah, I do all of that to my '08: 1.5" additional to the Guts tall seat, 27mm riser and CR High bars. 

One of my knees will not bend past about 100 degrees, so I have to sit high.

• KennyMc

Posted September 21, 2013 - 06:00 AM

EVO F3 Fastway pegs fit fine.
That peg will transfer over to almost any bike with just a change in the removable pivot, the part the changes the peg height.
BUSHINGS.jpg

FWEVO.jpg

Well, I will trust you more than there website than since you have a real life application because this is off there website:
They actually seem to contradict themselves. Stooopid website writers :-)
Fit 1998-2009 YZF/WR 250/400/426/450 4-strokes models.

NOTE: Pegs will not mount in lowboy position on 2006-09 YZ/WR 250F/450F 4-stroke models. Requires Low Boy Mount kit to install in lowboy position. Low Boy Mount Kit will not work with WR models.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ 450F Performance upgrades? by riderboy1961

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  37 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2008 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha YZ450F 2008
  • * * * * -
  • 22 reviews
  • Last review by thaoe_thumper
  • On August 31, 2016
Forums
Photo

2008 YZ450f suddenly dies by MotoFixation

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.