05 YZ450F Forks

3 replies to this topic
  • Ogener

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Hello all been awhile since I've been on here.

My left lower fork tube is loose in the base where the axle clamp is. From what I can tell it's a press fit part and you cannot do any tightening. Its loose enough that you can see it move when the brakes are applied and I'm losing fork oil through it, so it needs to be fixed or replaced soon.

Where can I get this part for a reasonable price? Or am I stuck buying new forks? What years can I get forks for?

I tried searching but didn't see what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:48 AM

i think you are right --- that is a pressed in part. You may want to post a photo and get some more feedback.

There are fork parts out there that should work fine - but much of the 2005 fork is one year only.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:00 AM

It's not pressed, it's threaded. There is a set screw on the lug (the aluminum part) that locks it in place, and in order to reseal or replace the lug, the damage done to the steel threads on the fork tube by the set screw must be cleaned up by drilling a small way into the tube before removing the lug. Special clamping fixtures are needed to hold the fork tube during this operation so as not to damage or distort the tube.

The lugs are available from KYB parts dealers like SMART Performance or Suspension Direct. A local suspension shop will be able to change or reseal it for you.

• Ogener

Posted July 29, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thanks sandman and Gray, I will take the fork off soon and try to analyze if I can indeed tighten the tube back up.
I don't like any of the shops in the area so getting parts may be a hassle.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.