FI and IGN setting ?

11 replies to this topic
  • Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 20, 2013 - 12:01 PM

I have a '12 wr450 and have some questions about setting the fi and Ign w the tuner.

I believe that a positive number on the ignition is advanced timing. If you take the gytr ECM that comes set at all 0's for both fi and ign and either advance or retard the ign timing, will that use mor fuel at the same throttle setting?

Reason I ask is, I've riden now a few times with that map 9 fi and ign settings and I'm only getting about 35 miles before the low light is coming on. While I could lean out the fi side I was wondering what if any the ign side does to the fuel consumption.

Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 20, 2013 - 12:24 PM

It depends on where it is.
There is a point where either advance or retard will decrease mileage.
I don't know the answer, but it will not be anywhere near as significant as a FI setting that is too rich.
+ 5 across the board drops you down to about 15 mpg....

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Which map is #9?

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:30 PM

http://www.thumperta.../#entry10791497

You'll see it in post 16. It's the second from last image.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted July 20, 2013 - 07:48 PM

can anyone find any information or a general guideline to follow as to what changes have what effect on the way the bike runs?

i suspect adding timing gives a harder hit, but the things is thats hard to figure out is if you dont know what the timing is at 0 and you dont know how many degrees each number changes it, how do you really know what your doing to tune or change the map?

since we can only speak in generic terms i would think timing affects the responsiveness of the engine. the fuel on the other hand seems a little ambiguous, why change it? i am not really impressed with the fuel economy of the bike, but unless i know what the A/F ratio is at 0 how would i know if i am making the bike rich enough, too lean or should i change it at all?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:36 PM

To answer directly, you can't.

You need a dyno, an A/F meter, a Bung welding into your header, and a sharp and knowledgeable operator to put it all together.
The key is to match your bikes mapping with another bike that already has it figured out, with the exact same tuning (accesory/mod) list.
That is why there are so many posts on this subject.

Basically, when you advance the timing, the throttle repression increases, and the acceleration increases up to the point of needing a more accurate fuel/air mixture, and/or increased volume of fuel/air
[size=4](eg: porting).[/size]

[size=4]That is why Yamaha sells a 'kit' designed to get you pretty close, just by putting on all the GYTR components, and re-mapping the ECU, for very good results.[/size]

[size=4]If you do anything other than that, you are just making changes, not necessarily improvements.[/size]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vlxjim

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:49 PM

I have a '12 wr450 and have some questions about setting the fi and Ign w the tuner.

I believe that a positive number on the ignition is advanced timing. If you take the gytr ECM that comes set at all 0's for both fi and ign and either advance or retard the ign timing, will that use mor fuel at the same throttle setting?

Reason I ask is, I've riden now a few times with that map 9 fi and ign settings and I'm only getting about 35 miles before the low light is coming on. While I could lean out the fi side I was wondering what if any the ign side does to the fuel consumption.

Thanks

Only 35 wow. I'm looking at changing maps. I going to be adding a new FMF Q4 HEX/SA. And need to keep the bike smooth. I read map 9 works good but only 35 miles not good. Were do you ride? I'm in Valencia up McBean.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 20, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I Put in map 9 but still richended that up some to brake the motor in some. I now have 4 ECM hours on it and will be leaning that out for next time. I went 35 miles on 1.45 gals. We rode at rowher today. Mostly single track up at a mixed pace. Rarely hi 1/2 throttle.

While map 9 works really well for that stuff, next time I'm going to try the gytr map (3rd one on list) for stock exhaust / head for woods.
In that map I think I see what they are doing. If you read the timing chart diagonal from 1/8 throttle 4000rpm to 3/4 throttle 9000 rpms, they have an easier timing to a more agressive timing (-5,-3,0) so it needs more fuel (-3,0,0) as the timing gets more agressive. Then if you compair the other maps that are being used where the bike loads more, sand and mud, they are adding more fuel.

So I guess I answered my own questions. Well see what the other map does.

Posted July 22, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I Put in map 9 but still richended that up some to brake the motor in some. I now have 4 ECM hours on it and will be leaning that out for next time. I went 35 miles on 1.45 gals. We rode at rowher today. Mostly single track up at a mixed pace. Rarely hi 1/2 throttle.

While map 9 works really well for that stuff, next time I'm going to try the gytr map (3rd one on list) for stock exhaust / head for woods.
In that map I think I see what they are doing. If you read the timing chart diagonal from 1/8 throttle 4000rpm to 3/4 throttle 9000 rpms, they have an easier timing to a more agressive timing (-5,-3,0) so it needs more fuel (-3,0,0) as the timing gets more agressive. Then if you compair the other maps that are being used where the bike loads more, sand and mud, they are adding more fuel.

So I guess I answered my own questions. Well see what the other map does.

I'm assuming your using the stock pipe etc? I have tried a few different maps and been going back and forth between the stock exhaust and a Dr.D full. If your looking for all out hp then the aftermarket pipe is the trick but honestly I ride a lot smoother using the stock pipe with map #2, its very smooth and broad, doesn't really hit anywhere but seems to get up and out of everything I do just fine.

0 0 0 0 0 0
-3 0 0 -5-3 0
-3-3 0 -5-5 0

Using this setup I did a 129 mile dual sport ride from high desert into the pines and didn't get the fuel light until mile 48. I dumped in about a 1/2 gallon of gas that was being carried, refueled at a gas station a little later and got the light again at mile 127. Did approx 10-15 miles of paved at approx 60mph but everything else was fire/jeep roads ranging from 20-40mph.

Here's a ride I did this Sat with the Dr.D and a very mild map setting and it seemed ok so far (didn't seem to abrupt). Not sure what you ride or if your faster/slower than me but it will give you an idea of what I ride and where I'm at on the throttle (not very aggressive in my case) to compare with. I would say with the stock setup map #2 I don't feel a whole lot of difference between the two pipes and the maps I've chosen to use. Hope this helps.....

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 22, 2013 - 05:32 PM

I loaded that map into the bike sunday and took it for a small ride down the street. It seemed to run ok but I found when I let off the throttle the bike would pop. So for now I richened it up some still.

I'm running stock pipe with the pee shooter (smallest insert) removed. Throttle stop out as well as the air box baffles out.

So in your video, that is the drd exhaust? From the video it sounds stock.

Posted July 23, 2013 - 05:38 AM

I loaded that map into the bike sunday and took it for a small ride down the street. It seemed to run ok but I found when I let off the throttle the bike would pop. So for now I richened it up some still.

I'm running stock pipe with the pee shooter (smallest insert) removed. Throttle stop out as well as the air box baffles out.

So in your video, that is the drd exhaust? From the video it sounds stock.

Its the Dr.D silencer and header in the video. Probably keep it on for a few rides so I can mess with the mapping a bit more. When I run the stock silencer its with everything stock, pee shooter still in and with the stock header. What elevation are you at?, I never get any popping with that map and the stock exhaust.

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted July 23, 2013 - 05:31 PM

I'm at ~1500 ft.

The more I thought about it today, I'm not sure it was a lean pop vs. just a decel pop as the bike was winding down with the with the clutch out .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.