will 04 spokes work on 2014 wheel?

5 replies to this topic
  • corndogg

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:52 AM

this might be dumb but last night i broke 2 spokes on the rear wheel on my 2014 yz 450. it will take over a week to get new ones. i have a 04 yz 450 can i use two spokes from that bike an put them on my 14?

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:55 AM

You should be able to, yes.

• corndogg

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:21 AM

also when the spokes broke it broke a seal for the wheel bearing. which is the cheapest material i have ever seen. it almost looks like it doesnt need to be there. its a sealed bearing and theres no way that seal kept contaminents out. whats your thoughts on that. replace it with stock or make a new one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:35 AM

Used to be there was a dust shield, usually steel, attached to the spacers, and that kept the big stuff away from the actual bearing seal. Then, variably, the wheel bearing was either sealed or not. If it's just something like the dust shield, you could fab up something temporary easily enough.

• corndogg

Posted July 18, 2013 - 11:23 AM

was looking at the part numbers for the 04 and the 14 for the spokes and there different part numbers so thats not a good sign.

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Not a bad one, either, all by itself. The '14 spokes are the same as the '09's. Pull one out and compare them.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.