Nitrogen

8 replies to this topic
  • DaveJ

Posted December 07, 2001 - 08:43 AM

Well...I've been looking into building a nitrogen system in the garage for recharging shocks.

Looks like I can take the traditional route and go with the welding supply unit, (tank, regulator, etc) or possibly use one of the paintball systems.

I think I'm going to go with a paintball unit with custom hose. A lot more portable and less industrial.

Thoughts? Ideas?

DaveJ

• Boit

Posted December 09, 2001 - 04:05 PM

I have a thought AND a question. First, safety should be the most important factor in desgining such a setup. These are high pressure systems and people have been killed by projectiles when pressure is released unexpectedly.

Second; does it matter what type of nitrogen is used? Medical or industrial grade?

When you get done, I hope you'll share your setup here with pics.

• forstrokes

Posted December 13, 2001 - 06:31 PM

hey dave..i see you in campbell..i'm at bascom--curtner..you want to get a ride goning ?

• DaveJ

Posted December 13, 2001 - 07:23 PM

Yea...that'd be cool.

My bike is in science project mod at the moment, but I should have it completed by next week.

Been doing mostly track stuff. What do you prefer?

If I get this thing together I may head up to ClubMoto for some testing. Ever been?

DaveJ

BTW - I'm close. Near John D. Morgan park (Winch/Campbell).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MX_Tuner

Posted December 14, 2001 - 02:02 AM

I never thought about a paintball set up. I just wonder how much they are. I screwed around trying to make a welding rig work. The size of the fitting on the nitrogen tank is different than oxygen or acetylene. I pieced one regulator together, screwed around with it trying to get it to work well and finally just bought the set up complete from Race Tech, and then had a super mondo, high zoot, deluxe hose made for $15 at the local hydraulic hose shop.

Industrial grade nitrogen can be used.

• 99400f

Posted December 14, 2001 - 06:14 AM

tommorow sat 12-15-01 hollisters gp track is open for practice and sunday is golden state race one..i'm going to try to be there for both..and if that washes out..a quick trip to metcalf..i'll send a message with phone

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: 99400f ]

• 99400f

Posted December 14, 2001 - 06:15 AM

o forstrokes is my home handle..this is work

• John_Curea

Posted December 14, 2001 - 06:52 AM

Davej

One of my nitro bottles came from a local gas supply company. They sold me a used 57# bottle with a 3 year certification for 60.00, filled.
He also sold a an adapter to use an oxygen gauge for 5.00.

The price on all new equiptment was about 450.00!!

It pays to call around.

Take care, John

• Paul_Thistle

Posted December 14, 2001 - 02:40 PM

I have a setup that Kent Moore sold. Instead of a regulator, it has the two gauges arranged with a large needle valve. It is fast and easy to manipulate the pressure.
On the business end of the hose I have put an open minature quick coupling. My inflators then plug right in for quick change of the various adapters.PT

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.