2009 YZ450 weird starting bugs

2 replies to this topic
  • shrubitup

Posted July 14, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Sometimes when I kick it the kicker won't budge at all. Feels like it needs a compression release. I put it in gear and roll it fwd and no improvement. I just power through it with my leg and finally it moves and problem gone. Sometimes there's very little compression like a release is stuck open. I cycle through the kicker until it finally has compression (about five kicks later). Bike is low hour and when cold/warm it reliably fires first kick but like a two stroke (small throttle blip when starting). Problem occurs when hot. Is something wrong with my exhaust cam automatic compression release?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2013 - 03:48 PM

It happens. Has to do with the auto decompression mechanism. Unless you have an auto clutch like a Rekluse, you can normally put the bike in gear and pull it back a couple inches to free the engine up an re-engage the AD unit. Read:

http://www.thumperta...763#post9110763

• shrubitup

Posted July 14, 2013 - 04:29 PM

It happens. Has to do with the auto decompression mechanism. Unless you have an auto clutch like a Rekluse, you can normally put the bike in gear and pull it back a couple inches to free the engine up an re-engage the AD unit. Read:

http://www.thumperta...763#post9110763

Thanks for the links. Yes, it does happen often as you describe during slow lug and chug woods crawls when it stalls and the piston lands on the compression stroke. I was rolling it forward in gear and should have went backwards as you suggest. Thank you! :banana:

:thumbsup:

Not running a Rekluse...... yet...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.